SPINAL STIMULATOR STOPS RLS?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
buglegs

SPINAL STIMULATOR STOPS RLS?

Post by buglegs »

Has anyone on here with RLS/WED tried the Implantable Spinal Stimulator for RLS? Abbott Technology has one out with Burst DR / Flexburst 360 I did a 7-day trial and it provided enormous relief for my RLS. I haven't been able to fall asleep for numerous years..without first taking Requip. I only take Requip at bedtime and without it I'd never go to sleep..bugs,creepy crawly feeling in my legs would start without taking Requip prior to trying to fall asleep. Well I recently did a 7-day trial with the stimulator mentioned above and the second day after starting the trial I actually was able to fall asleep without Requip and a couple days I didn't have ANY RLS symptoms at all...The 7-day trial was over yesterday and they removed the unit my RLS has already returned..I have to wait at least 2-weeks to be scheduled for the permanent implantable stimulator...I was really happy with the results of the trial, with the relief it gave me from the RLS I could get some decent sleep, felt better than I had in years..hopefully the permanent one works just as good!! I'm gonna give it a shot, its worth a try for a while... Please respond if you have any information to contribute as far as Spinal Stimulators and RLS relief...
Michael

Polar Bear

Re: SPINAL STIMULATOR STOPS RLS?

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't have any experience but just want to wish you well and will look forward to your updates in due course.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Has anyone on here with RLS/WED tried the Implantable Spinal Stimulator for RLS?
Write a private note to Debbluebird, I am fairly sure that she has the experience that you are looking for.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have the spinal stimulator. It helped me. But I still have to take other meds. My RLS is so severe.
It might take a little while to get adjusted. They will give you a rep who you'll be able to call anytime.
They will start you at the setting you tried for your trial. If that works, then great.
My RLS is caused by the pinched nerves in my back. As my osteoarthritis gets worse, my RLS gets worse.
They added gabapentin first, then I had to add an opioid, Suboxone. But that wasn't for at least a year.
You will have restrictions for 2 months, I think. If I remember it right. You want to follow those strictly. The wires have to stay in place while your body heals around then. No bending down, reaching, twisting. Have someone help you. Get a reacher, to pick stuff up.
Make sure you have them put the battery on the side you don't tend to sleep on. I can't sleep on that side.
You'll have to charge the battery. Either daily or every other day. Depends on where it's set, how much it uses the battery. That's not hard to do. Sometimes inconvenient. You have some leeway. I usually do mine when I'm eating dinner.
Good luck

Lissa496

Post by Lissa496 »

I was asked if I wanted to have one installed as I was a candidate and after much research chose against it. I would suggest now that these have been on the market for many years you do some research and decide if it is something you want in your body and if it is worth it. As Debbis say she still needs meds and it did not solve her RLS.

I asked for pros and cons on a few sites and then looked at many research papers and I looked at why the FDA had not yet approved the devices though they had been in trial for an extremely long time.
https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/afp-commu ... 0injury%2C

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

But my RLS is severe and she said her RLS was gone during the trial. Mine wasn't.