Success

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Nieceali

Success

Post by Nieceali »

Hi
I felt inclined to share my success with ending 4 years of suffering from RLS. It’s been 6 months since I’ve had symptoms w/o taking a dopamine agonist & klonopin. I was on an SSRI for years and through trial & error learned that my symptoms increased with any drug/supplement that affected my serotonin levels. In addition, the dopamine agonist (roprinole) was making symptoms worse. Also, someone loaned me a Healy device (frequency healing) that I believe made a big difference. I was told once you have RLS you’ll always have it & I was prepared to do opiate therapy, but gratefully it’s been 6 months free from RLS & no medications/supplements treating it.
For what it’s worth I do want to mention that I also addressed past childhood trauma that I believe gets stored in our nervous systems. I feel the trauma therapy has contributed to a calmer nervous system helping to alleviate long-term symptoms as well.
I do hope someone benefits from this feedback, for I have tremendous compassion and empathy for all who live with this debilitating condition with little treatment options. I wish you long-term relief.

Rustsmith

Re: Success

Post by Rustsmith »

One of the side effects of almost all anti-depressants (SSRI, SNRI and TCA) is restlessness that is either RLS or essentially the same thing as RLS. Whereas primary RLS is not something that can be cured, restlessness that occurs as a side effect of anti-depressant use or any of several other drugs that alter the brain's dopamine levels can often be relieved by getting off of the drug or sometimes even decreasing the dose. That DOES NOT MEAN that you should stop taking an anti-depressant if you are taking it to treat depression. However, some doctors prescribe this class of drugs to treat the insomnia that occurs with RLS. As a result, instead of helping with the sleep issues of RLS, the anti-depressant just makes things worse.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Monolight1

Re: Success

Post by Monolight1 »

I'm so thankful that you could recover from RLS without any medication, I'm jelous in a good way, not many get to say the things you spoke in this thread