RLS and Increasing Circulation in Legs

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
badnights

Re: RLS and Increasing Circulation in Legs

Postby badnights » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 am

Fascinating disease - would find it much more fascinating if I did not have it, though!
If I didn't have it, I probably would remain blissfully uninterested in it.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 pm

badnights wrote:
Fascinating disease - would find it much more fascinating if I did not have it, though!
If I didn't have it, I probably would remain blissfully uninterested in it.

If I were a researcher, I'd find it fascinating. As a person in the world? I would love to be blissfully unaware and uninterested!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Postby Stainless » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm

I don't know how and doubt you can direct oxygen to a specific area but high oxygen can do amazing things to bring back damaged tissue. The best example is burn patients. And it does not hurt the rest of your body (probably helps) as long as you take into account oxygen toxicity which only occurs above three atmospheres of pure oxygen. There is also lung pathology that happens when people are on oxygen for very long times like very old people in hospitals.

I was a very avid jogger most of my life and now do long sessions on the elliptical. I have a hard time thinking my thigh muscles/nerve system are being starved of oxygen but not have an effect on exercise.

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:08 pm

The information that was provided in the Foundation webinar on hypoxia indicated that under "normal" conditions we actually have enhanced circulation in our legs. From what they said, it is normal for the blood vessels in the legs to dilate when challenged with hypoxia. However, since our blood vessels are already somewhat dilated, we do not see the increased circulation when we become hypoxic and actually fall a little behind.

As a competitive runner, I attribute our normal dilation as providing me with an advantage in short distances races, such as 800 meters. But the reduced additional dilation with hypoxia is the reason why I lose my advantage at longer distances, such as races at 5K and longer. My understanding is that the reduced dilation does not mean that my leg muscles are being starved of oxygen at the longer distances, just that all else equal, I would be getting more if not for the RLS. I believe that my RLS allows me to deliver more oxygen to my legs due to enhanced blood flow in the short races when I am not yet hypoxic, so I have an advantage. But the lesser dilation due to exercise induced hypoxia shifts the advantage to others whose training level is similar to mine.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Postby badnights » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:26 am

When we talk of hypoxia in WED, we should remember that it's not just evident in leg muscles. It's happening on a cellular level. Hypoxic pathways in brain cells (SN and cortex) are activated in WED, as determined from brain autopsies, and this links to both iron and dopamine abnormalities.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

Return to “Physical Treatments”