Counterstrain Technique

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Oozz

Counterstrain Technique

Post by Oozz »

Has anyone else seen and/or looked into this?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0000000011

According to the study, his "Counter strain" technique was effective. I was not able to look at the entire research paper, just the abstract.

Best,

Oozz

stjohnh

Re: Counterstrain Technique

Post by stjohnh »

Blessings,
Holland

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Thanks. Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts?

Somewhat puzzling because the patients did not stop their meds and there was no change in sleep loss. Despite this, the aggregate RLS score improved by 10 points. They don't show what specific areas of the questionnaire improved, just the aggregate, making it hard to know what is driving the improvement.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

By coincidence someone posted on a UK rls forum who had attended Theo Peters. He/she felt that there may have been an improvement in symptoms and spoke highly of Theo Peters but they did not put it much higher than that.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Thanks. I’m doubtful, but am looking for a practitioner in the U.S. I’ll let you know how it goes.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Count me skeptical...BUT...

I strongly believe that we have multiple things going on and that some of us have either different "types" of RLS or diseases that aren't RLS, but that are similar in symptomology. Too may people have come here diagnosed with RLS only to find they have something else - small fiber neuropathy, for example - as well as the number of genes involved, the pain component, the differing substances that work and so on.

Could very well be that some type responds to this.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

If anyone finds some information on the "RLS-specific" locations and what to do with them, I'd be interested in seeing it. I couldn't find specifics.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I don't think there are any specific locations for this sort of "therapy".

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sorry, I meant specifics of what locations on the body are probed and what body parts are re-positioned and how. These are described for in Pain and Counterpain for Pelvic Pain, which is Ch 6 of something that I can't track because I'm even sleepier now than when I wrote the last post. Apparently WED/RLS patients in that study mentioned by someone earlier were trained to treat themselves at home - told where to press and what to move. That's what would be interesting to know. Heck, can you imagine if it worked? But I just want to see if it's published anywhere or kept secret. I don't expect anyone to be able to find any such information.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Oozz wrote:Thanks. Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts?

Somewhat puzzling because the patients did not stop their meds and there was no change in sleep loss. Despite this, the aggregate RLS score improved by 10 points. They don't show what specific areas of the questionnaire improved, just the aggregate, making it hard to know what is driving the improvement.

I can't say for sure. But it may be that movements during sleep improved so that even though the quantity of sleep did not change, the quality of sleep improved.

Steve

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oooz wrote: Thanks. Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts?

steve wrote: I can't say for sure. But it may be that movements during sleep improved so that even though the quantity of sleep did not change, the quality of sleep improved.

It could be something like the intensity or duration of the symptoms when awake lessened - but not enough to allow more sleep.