Does anyone take Clonazpam for RLS?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
mendel

Does anyone take Clonazpam for RLS?

Post by mendel »

Hi -

I've just discovered this board. Wow! My mom had RLS & i've had it since i was about 18 - maybe earlier. Stress makes it much worse.
Have been taking Clonazapam for about 8 years now. It works well - but i guess i am addicted to it. sometimes it doesn't even last thru the night. My concern is that I've taken this med. for so long. My dr. doesn't seem to think anything of it.

Any comments?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

mendel, you might want to look in the Pharmacuetical Therapies section - here's one but I bet there are more. There is a pretty good search function on the site.

http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=91

This post in General Topics startedabout pain, but ended up being about withdrawal from klonopin (mine and it was very hard):

http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=891

There are lots of other choices and IMHO this isn't the best for daily RLS. If you go to the General Topics section, there is also a post that has tons of links in it - both to another thread that has lots of links and to off-site links that will tell you a lot about meds so you can decide what you think might work for you at least to start with - not all meds work for everyone unfortunately. Sometimes you have to go through several.

http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

Welcome - good luck looking at the posts. Hope to see you posting in some of those threads.

Ann

IanFraughton

Post by IanFraughton »

Mendal,

Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about your concerns with being addicted to clonazapam. Any 'azapam is addictive I believe and I have a hard time getting any scripts for it from my doc. Of course he knows they are addictive thats why he won't give them to me because I'm a chronic pot user. I believe he thinks I'm just asking for them because I want to get high, but believe me I never took a valium or any sedative until 2 months ago(I'm 36) when I got a valium off my roommate to try it and see what it would do. So I took half a 10mg at 6pm and the other half at 10pm, of course I love the relaxed feeling(finally after so many years) and slept like a baby(without RLS) waking up feeling refreshed and better than I had in years. But my doc insists they are not a good sedative so I have had to buy my 'azapam(or one of the pam sisters as I call them) on the street.lol

If you do decide to come off them be careful as Ann said it can be very hard and if you need support or help we are here and will try to get you through this.

Peace 8)

Ian
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

mattdom1

Post by mattdom1 »

i just started taking klonopin for rls (i've had the condition since i was in my late teens also). i'm going in for a sleep study tonight to determine if that is what i truly have, although, i' have every symptom they'll say you should have with rls...anyway, i've found that the klonopin helps more so than the mirapex i was given a few months ago. but after tonight, maybe i'll have a better answer and will be given the proper meds. with 4 children under 9, i need to sleep!! :shock:
stephanie