Hot Tub?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Stainless

Hot Tub?

Post by Stainless »

The one thing that always works, at least for the moment, is a hot bath. I live in Florida and have been considering a one person hot tub so I have jets powerful enough for some therapeutic relief as well as the heat without installing a 220 volt system which is very impactable for me. One person tubs seem to be very rare because of the nature of having a hot tub, but I figure it will cost a fraction as much to run and maintain.

I also understand many states will forego the sales tax with a prescription but have not found out if Florida or wherever I order from does. My doctor is no RLS expert but would probably go along with this knowing what I have been through. Any comments?

ViewsAskew

Re: Hot Tub?

Post by ViewsAskew »

Boy, I would be willing to do a lot for something that always helped.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Borzoibabe

Post by Borzoibabe »

I have a hot tub and have tried to use it although you can't use it if you are wearing the Neupro patch. Did nothing at all to help my RLS. Just my personal experience. I suppose it helps some but not for me. We also live in FL.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

You can get Jacuzzi bathtubs (and other brands) that have jets and heaters, just like a hot tub, but fit right into the spot where the bathtub goes... I was just thinking that I've never had RLS when sitting in a hot tub. We have a hot tub sitting in our basement that we don't use because it leaks, and we need to hire someone to come out and fix the seals. The seals go bad when it's not running for a few months, so it's kind of a pain. I would love to have a regular bathtub with the jets.
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

I was looking into an infrared sauna. You have to be careful to get one made of poplar or aspen, a non-smelly wood (the vapors given off by cedar and other nice-smelling woods might be bad for you, especially if you're already compromised by a disease). And be sure to get multiple nano-carbon panel heaters that ensure full-body heat coverage. Some places make one-person saunas that fit into a corner of your room. I haven't identified a good supplier.

I spend energy on these projects and get to a certain point in one or two evenings, but then other priorities take over, and I don't have the energy to continue. If I were certain the sauna would help, I would devote more time to it, or if someone else just pointed me at the right site, I would take a chance and buy one. But the time and energy to investigate -- - I barely have time to work, eat and keep my house half-clean. Sigh.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I'll have a chance to try an infrared sauna at a Spa we are visiting in a few weeks. We are going to Canyon Ranch in Arizona. I'm also going to meet with their Johns Hopkins' trained sleep disorder doctor. I don't expect a big breakthrough but it will be interesting to talk. My regular doctor just wants to know if I'm doing OK and get me out the door. Distraction has always been the best cure for my RLS so It may be hard to create a normal level of discomfort, go to the sauna or hot tub and get a real feel if it is the ticket in the 5 days we'll be there.

Putting the tub inside my house would be the best solution but I have a 60 year old house with small bathrooms. The one person, 150 gallon, 110 volt tub I'm looking at is about $2500 delivered. I can get out of sales tax with a prescription. So no great loss if it only lasts five years. I've been surprised researching how much maintenance and electricity they require. Thx

badnights

Post by badnights »

It would be fortuitous if the right conditions arose for you to effectively test the sauna in your 5 days there. I hope they do, it would be interesting to know if it works for someone.

I think a hot tub would be too hot for the top of me, and not hot enough for the bottom :D
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I agree Badnights. I only need a foot of water. Sometimes I worry about scalding myself but it shocks the hell out of the rls.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

We have both a sauna and a hot tub in our new condo building. Both are technically closed from 10 PM to 8 AM, but if I were quiet, no one would here me...the question is whether security would see me and the answer is affirmative. My guess is I'd be kicked out. Seems so silly.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann - no room for negotiation ??
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

My condo is currently undergoing a series of legal issues because the guy down the hall wants to install a hot tub on his balcony, which is in clear violation of the condo's bylaws (which he signed that he read when he bought his unit, but now admits that he didn't read). He is claiming various disability issues because he claims to have either cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy (depending on which prescription from his doctor that you believe). I suspect that the condo attorney is eagerly anticipating getting this guy under oath at a hearing.

So Ann, you might ask security for late hours access due to your medical condition. If they balk, you could always ask Dr B to write a prescription to provide you night time access to the hot tub.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No idea if there is room for negotiation. I did sneak into the exercise room one night when I had nasty RLS - it's off a large courtyard and I was walking around in circles and decided to ride a bike for awhile. I chickened out after about five minutes - I never turned on a light, so they likely couldn't see me. The sauna is inside the women's locker room. I cannot imagine they have cameras in there! The hot tub is outside by the pool. I know they can see that.

Just not sure how much I want to fight...but since I am about to go on a two month opioid holiday, I may really want to see if I can get into it!

Managing Your RLS

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I sold real estate for a while, and made sure I understood the Fair Housing Law. Not only does it deal with non-discrimination issues, it also deals with issues of disability. Generally, a condo has to allow any reasonable accommodation to a unit that helps a person who otherwise cannot live there. For example, just as the condo association must allow you to put in grab bars, they would need to allow you to put in a hot tub if you got a doctor to say that you needed it for RLS. Or perhaps your doctor could say you need access to the gym at night. It might be worth a try, anyway. Here's some more info.

https://meeb.com/legal-alets/aging-cond ... modations/

Just keep in mind that different states have different rules, but the federal Fair Housing law does require that "reasonable accomodations" be allowed.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jul2873 wrote:I sold real estate for a while, and made sure I understood the Fair Housing Law. Not only does it deal with non-discrimination issues, it also deals with issues of disability. Generally, a condo has to allow any reasonable accommodation to a unit that helps a person who otherwise cannot live there. For example, just as the condo association must allow you to put in grab bars, they would need to allow you to put in a hot tub if you got a doctor to say that you needed it for RLS. Or perhaps your doctor could say you need access to the gym at night. It might be worth a try, anyway. Here's some more info.

https://meeb.com/legal-alets/aging-cond ... modations/

Just keep in mind that different states have different rules, but the federal Fair Housing law does require that "reasonable accomodations" be allowed.

Thanks for posting that! For those of us in the US, that seems to be something that could help us.

Managing Your RLS

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I was disappointed with use of hot tub and sauna for relieving of my rls. while at the Canyon Ranch Spa. I even used a cold tub (50 deg. F) and had an awesome massage. It all felt wonderful but every night I wrestled with rls. A 105 deg. F hot tub is not nearly as hot as I get my bath. I need measure how hot I get the bath but it must be several degrees higher. I spent a lot at least an hour each day doing the steam room, sauna, to hot and cold tubs. I was not having rls issues during these sessions but that's not when they manifest. Relaxing and in bed it was about in the middle of my range of discomfort.

I did meet for an hour with their sleep doctor, who suffers from hereditary rls. Best conversation I've ever had on rls but no silver bullet. I also went to two of his talks, one on sleep and the other on maintaining a healthy weight. Again the common sense your mother told you, but motivating.