Training Brain to Release Dopamine earlier

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
AriaLittlhous

Training Brain to Release Dopamine earlier

Postby AriaLittlhous » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 am

I just learned that as melatonin decreases, dopamine increases. I'm guessing this is why I can fall asleep at 330 am, when melatonin decreases and dopamine increases. I'm wondering if I slowly start going to bed earlier, like now, or in 20 minutes, if I could train my brain to start releasing dopamine earlier.

Polar Bear

Re: Training Brain to Release Dopamine earlier

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:57 pm

You have nothing to lose by trying it out and if you do, we'd be most grateful if you kept us informed of how it worked for you.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

AriaLittlhous

Postby AriaLittlhous » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 am

Yeah, right now my big problem is trying too many things and spending too much time on line talking about it! I was on pramipexole for ten years and just realized a couple of months ago that it was ruining my life, tears. Never again. I'm all natural now. Btw, the falling asleep at 330 doesn't seem to because of melatonin--today I didn't drop of until after 7, and only after: thc, advil pm, calms forte....sigh.

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:52 am

AriaLittlhous, since you mentioned advil pm, you may need to be careful with that one. Most of the OTC products like it contain a first generation antihistamine such as Benedryl. The first generation antihistamines are known to be frequent RLS triggers. In my opinion, you would be better off with the THC, an herbal tea or even a glass of milk. Oh, and a hot (or sometimes very cold) bath helps many of us.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Return to “Physical Treatments”