do u find some releaf from rls when eating ?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thankyou Mackjergens, I reiterate all of your last post.
Betty

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

moonlight.
Please read the posting "Anything and everything you need to know about Iron, its the post right below this one. You will find MANY Other PLANT foods(veggie) that you can eat that are full of iron, if you cant get COW.

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

I'm from the US and we are constantly bombarded with advertising on television about every kind of drug. Just recently are the ones for RLS. Personally, I don't think a pharmaceutical company should be allowed to advertise the way they do soap detergents. I think it puts ideas in peoples heads about what may be wrong with them. We don't get enough information about proper nutrition.

Go to creamofwheat.com/ and click on the top where to buy. I'm sure they could help you.

Honestly, before COW I never even thought that much about following the RDA requirement. I never thought a food or single vitamin could improve my health. I've tried vitamins and didn't see any difference and drugs always have some kind of side effect.

Lastly, go to earthclinic.com and see if there's any information useful to you about depression or RLS.

hope this helps...

becat

Post by becat »

Hey Moonlight,

Your so right about the TV ADS! London didn't have many either on the tube, and none that you would get from only having a prescription for.
That is, I'm assuming here, it's a socialize medical issue.

If the government has control of what meds you can have or not, then they certainly will not let ads for out for meds., since they normally don't like to pay a high price for some of the newer meds.

I think we have heard that from some others across the pond, :D , and Down Under, as well.

I loved actually watching a 30 minute program with few ads mixed in. :)

Maybe you and I should work out a deal, COW for those Digestive crackers! I love those things. I have found them locally and they aren't horriblly out of price, but it was one of my great things I found while in England. For those here in the states, they are thicker, round and just a hint of grahm cracker taste. The come with (bad) chocolate too! But I like the plain ones myself.

Mesolo, I'm one that has tried many things, was not taised to take meds or see a doctor, unless it was really needed. Which was not often, except for infections!
I do take many supplements, but have to add that I have to have the meds. too! Sadly, mine is morphed into something ugly, but it did with my grandmother as well. Part of my RLS is simply genetic and mean. My mother, bless her, tries everything on me. I'm a lab rat twice over! Some have helped and some have not budged anything, but I'm a good girl and try them.

I do agree though that eating well and watching what you intake can make a difference most of the time...then there are times that nothing changes what is going on.

I am happy that yours is under control. Your good experiences mean as much as those that don't respond well to just lifestyle and diet change.

Hope all is well with everyone.
Lynne

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Becat :P :P

Wonder when you were last over here? Now we get 5 min of programme and 15mins adverts very very annoying.
Have you tried oatcakes? they are lovely with butter and cheddar cheese, the oatcakes are healthy and the rest .......well and I dont know if they help rls, it would be nice if they did!

Sometimes it depends what area you live in for what drugs you get here, not very fair same goes for hospital treatment, where I stay we dont wait too long to see consultants eg two weeks for psych appt not bad.

been ok today

moonlight x :P
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hey Moonlight, that's brilliant, 2 weeks to see a consultant !!! It depends over here which type of consultant, but up to a year is to be expected for orthopaedics, neuro etc. Of course that's under our free National Health Service. Going private (which I assume is what it is in the USA under an insurance scheme) is a totally different matter.

KBear

Post by KBear »

mesolo wrote:Lastly, go to earthclinic.com and see if there's any information useful to you about depression or RLS.

Thanks for this tip, what a great site! I love it!
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

This is really a great post and lots of good info. So true about the ads here vs Europe.

Hey Lynne good to see you on the board. Hope all is well for you.

Take care everyone and have a nice evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Thank you Charlene! :wink:

Moonlight, I was just in London last month (nov). I really can't say I dislike the programs at all, we have far more advertising in the US.....it's hard to watch tv at all without it being recorded so I can skip the ads.

LOl, My Hubby and I thought it was great to get that much of a program! LOL

No I didn't try the oatcakes, but yes, they sound like something I would eat. I'll look them up and see if a store here in my area carries anything like that, could you give me a name of a good brand?

Betty, in the US, it can be hard to get care here, yes insurance is a big problem for many people. However, I'm lucky and can choose my own doctor, with the plan I am on.
It can still take time to get into a good doc, forget any of them really understanding RLS, YET! :D

In fact I just was able to fire my surgeon and go to another (so much better) doc., last month. I was lucky and got in right away. Love him so far. Old fashion, still likes to know who he's working with. I had a letter from my RLS doc. ( :lol: ) that told him everything and lead to a better understanding about me and RLS, as well.

I have no idea how people wait things out, I don't do that well, but most of the time I have to. However, not as long as you guys, wow. I guess Moonlight, you hit the jackpot getting in, always a helpful thing.

Hugs to all,
Lynne

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

becat wrote:Thank you Charlene! :wink:

In fact I just was able to fire my surgeon and go to another (so much better) doc., last month. I was lucky and got in right away. Love him so far. Old fashion, still likes to know who he's working with. I had a letter from my RLS doc. ( :lol: ) that told him everything and lead to a better understanding about me and RLS, as well.

Hugs to all,
Lynne

Ahhhh Lynne music to my ears.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Lynne :)

yes think I was lucky cos it could have been a lot lot longer. :o

Pattersons oatcakes are nice ,they come all diff rough, med ,organic.
I like the medium ones.These oatcakes are round. You also get triangular ones, they are Orkney oatcakes and tend to be rougher and drier to eat,nice but for me a bit too dry.

hope you find them and enjoy them!

My rls is in hiding today !!! wow this is great but it is only lunch time,who knows .......maybe a day without ?.....oh how i'd love that......so would everyone on this site.

keep safe

moonlight x :P
sleep is not only a dream

mauekat

Eating

Post by mauekat »

It's interesting that you brought that up because we've noticed that when my boyfriend's RLS is keeping him up, if he eats something, he usually falls right back to sleep.

Overall, he sleeps most nights now (after his work with the chiropractor) but on the occassional night he can't, food seems to help.

We recently found out that my gastroenterologist is conducting a study that links RLS with a bacteria in the colon. He says that if you've ever had food poisoning you probably have that bacteria in your colon. If your RLS started after the food poisoning incident, you would have a lot of success in his study. The study was started when he was treating a family member for irritable bowel syndrome. She'd had RLS for 14 years and after he put her on the antibiotics to eliminate the IBS, she never had RLS problems again. Once he began the study, he found a high success rate in RLS sufferers that had the bacteria present in their colon. He tests for the bacteria with a breath test. If you don't have the bacteria, you aren't able to participate in the study. Info is available at:
http://gidoctor.net/research_articles/restless_legs_syndrome.html

I'm doing a separate post on this so that others can find it easily

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Very intersting. I remember a published study a few months ago - maybe longer - that talked about IBS and RLS - must have been either this guy's work.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mauekat

Ice Cream

Post by mauekat »

Don't you think that the problem with heating your ice cream before bed is related to the sugar in it, and/or, if it's chocolate, the caffeine?

I went out and bought sugar free ice cream for nights when he can't sleep so that if he eats it, he isn't getting sugar late at night.

Just thought.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Yes I absolutely agree that the problem with eating ice cream is the sugar. Worse yet "sugar free" ice cream contains artificial sweetners, your better off eating the sugar.

Your best bet for night time food cravings is a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, a couple slices of cheese or a glass of warm milk.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf