do u find some releaf from rls when eating ?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
mesolo

Post by mesolo »

Mack, I use to have both if you can believe it. Poor circulation, and YES I had that creepy crawly feeling where you have to move around a lot and walk just so it goes away. It too was driving me nuts, that's why I was compelled to do something.

Originally, I didn't think just taking a breakfast food would do anything...at least not quickly. But looking on the box I saw it had 50% Iron and I think it was 60% Calcium, if I remember correctly. It helped not only my RLS but my poor circulation and the pain in my legs.

Now those Iron tablets your doctor prescribed, do you know how much Iron was in each one? Also, were they a prescription you picked up from the pharmacy or did you pick them up at the store off the shelf??

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi :P

there are very few foods marked with the amount of iron in them in the UK which is a pain as i am trying to find foods high in iron..

i have looked everywhere for farina ....no luck not seem to exist

does anyone know what a weight is compared to a percentage eg a box says 4.5mg per 37.5g serving is that good ....weetabix

moonlight :P
sleep is not only a dream

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

more of my 2 cents...

The other food on the list high in Iron was Total, the breakfast cereal. Maybe that might be more universal than COW. Never took it for my RLS so can't really comment, all I know is 1 oz. is equal to 18 grams, almost twice the amount of Iron than in COW.

mackjergens

Foods rich in iron

Post by mackjergens »

http://www.sandiegobloodbank.org/donati ... _foods.php

Are You Eating Iron-Rich Foods?
The average woman needs 18 mg. iron a day. The average man needs 10 mg.; infants and children need 10-15 mg. Use the worksheet below to figure out how much iron you eat every day. If you are not getting enough iron, you may want to change your eating habits. If you are unable to include more iron-rich food in your diet, check with your physician about a possible iron supplement.
FOOD AMOUNT AVG. MG. IRON
GRAINS Bread (white or whole wheat) 1 slice 0.5
Bran muffin 1 1.5
English muffin 1 1.5-1.9
Tortillas 1 1
Cooked cereal 1/2 cup 0.7
Dry cereal 3/4 cup read label
Wheat germ 1/2 cup 4

MEAT Organ meats 3 oz. 7
Liver 3 oz. 8-9
Liver sausage 3 oz. 4-6
Shellfish 3 oz. 4-5
Red meats 3 oz. 4
Fish and poultry 3 oz. 2-3

MEAT SUBSTITUTES Tofu 4 oz. 2.3
Sunflower seeds 1 oz. 2
Pumpkin seeds 1 oz. 3.2
Cooked dry peas (beans, lentils, lima beans) 1/2 cup 2-3
Egg 1 1
Nuts 1/3 cup 0.5-2.0
Peanut butter 1 tbsp. 0.3

FRUIT Water melon 6" x 1/2" slice 3
Strawberries 1 cup 1.5
Banana 1 cup 1

DRIED FRUIT Raisins, dates, prunes, figs, apricots 1/2 cup 3-4

JUICES (CANNED) Prune juice 3/4 cup 7.4
Tomato juice 3/4 cup 1.6
Apple juice 3/4 cup 1.1

VEGETABLES Cooked dark leafy greens (spinach, collards, kale) 1/2 cup 3
Raw dark leafy greens (spinach, collards, kale) 1 cup 2
Jicama 1/3 cup 0.8

MISCELLANEOUS Molasses 1 tbsp. 3.2
Brewer's yeast (dry) 1 tbsp. 1.4

FAST FOODS Pizza (cheese or pepperoni) 1/2 of 10" 4.5-5.4
Hamburger 1 reg. 2.5
Cheeseburger 1 reg. 2.5
Beef burrito 1 4.6
Bean burrito 1 2.8
Beef taco 1 2.9

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

Liver 3 oz. 8-9

Mack, now that you bring it up I do remember reading about liver being high in Iron. I don't know how much is in liver sausage but I did try it without any noticeable results. But eating liver might be a good idea for the ones who can't get ahold of COW.

mackjergens

Info from Mayo Clinic /Iron Deficiency

Post by mackjergens »

I wanted to copy/paste this because I found alot of great info about iron deficiency and felt that ALL would benefit from reading the entire article.
I can't remember who was having surgery soon to help prevent iron loss, there is important info about this also in this article. Restless legs is also mentioned in the article.

Iron deficiency anemia
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/iron-d ... ia/DS00323

Introduction
Having iron deficiency anemia may cause you to feel tired and often look pale. It's a common type of anemia — a condition in which blood lacks adequate healthy red blood cells, which carry oxygen to tissues. Oxygenated blood gives your body energy and your skin a healthy color.

As the name implies, iron deficiency anemia is due to insufficient iron. Your body needs the element iron to make hemoglobin, a substance in red blood cells that enables them to carry oxygen.

Iron deficiency anemia is common, especially in women. One in five women and half of all pregnant women are iron deficient. Lack of iron in your diet is one cause of iron deficiency anemia, but there are other causes as well.

You can usually correct iron deficiency anemia with iron supplementation. Sometimes, additional treatments are necessary, especially if you're bleeding internally.

Signs and symptoms
In general, anemia causes extreme fatigue, pale skin, weakness, shortness of breath, headache, lightheadedness, and often cold hands and feet.

Iron deficiency anemia symptoms also may include:

Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
Brittle nails
Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch
Poor appetite, especially in infants and children with iron deficiency anemia
Some people with iron deficiency anemia experience restless legs syndrome — an uncomfortable tingling or crawling feeling in your legs that's generally relieved by moving them.

If you or your child develops signs and symptoms that suggest iron deficiency anemia, see your doctor. Initially, iron deficiency anemia can be so mild that it goes unnoticed. But as the body becomes more deficient in iron and anemia worsens, the signs and symptoms intensify.

Causes
Your blood consists of liquid called plasma and three types of blood cells:

White blood cells. These blood cells fight infection.
Platelets. These blood cells help your blood to clot after a cut.
Red blood cells (erythrocytes). These blood cells carry oxygen from your lungs, by way of your bloodstream, to your brain and the other organs and tissues. Your body needs a supply of oxygenated blood to function. Oxygenated blood helps give your body its energy and your skin a healthy glow.
Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, an iron-rich substance that gives blood its red color. Hemoglobin enables red blood cells to carry oxygen from your lungs to all parts of your body.

Red blood cells are manufactured in your bone marrow — a red, spongy material located within the cavities of many of your large bones, such as your pelvic bones. Your bone marrow needs iron, along with vitamins, adequate calories and protein, to produce hemoglobin and red blood cells. Your body gets these from the foods you eat, plus your body also recycles iron from old red blood cells.

You can be mildly deficient in iron and not develop anemia. Iron deficiency leads to anemia when the body lacks sufficient iron to make adequate hemoglobin. Without enough hemoglobin, your red blood cells are smaller and paler than normal, and they can't carry adequate oxygen to your tissues.

Iron deficiency anemia causes include:

Blood loss. Blood contains iron within red blood cells. If you lose blood, you lose some iron. Women with heavy periods are at risk of iron deficiency anemia because they lose a lot of blood during menstruation. Slow, chronic blood loss from a source within the body — such as a peptic ulcer, a kidney or bladder tumor, a colon polyp, colorectal cancer, or uterine fibroids — can cause iron deficiency anemia. Gastrointestinal bleeding can result from regular use of aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). While not common in the United States, hookworm infestation can cause blood loss.

Blood lost from within the body may show up in your urine or stools, producing black or bloody stools. Inform your doctor if you notice blood in your urine or stools.

A lack of iron in your diet. Your body regularly gets iron from the foods you eat. If you consume too little iron, over time your body can become iron deficient. Examples of iron-rich foods include meat, eggs, dairy products or iron-fortified foods. For proper growth and development, infants and children need iron from their diet, too.
An inability to absorb iron. Iron from food is absorbed into your bloodstream in your small intestine. An intestinal disorder, such as Crohn's disease or celiac disease, which affects your intestine's ability to absorb nutrients from digested food, can lead to iron deficiency anemia. If part of your small intestine has been bypassed or removed surgically, that may affect your ability to absorb iron and other nutrients. Some medications can interfere with iron absorption. For example, regular use of prescription-strength stomach acid blockers called proton pump inhibitors may lead to iron deficiency anemia, although this is unusual. Your body needs stomach acid, which these products suppress, to convert dietary iron into a form that can readily be absorbed by the small intestine.
Pregnancy. Without iron supplementation, iron deficiency anemia occurs in many pregnant women because their iron stores need to serve their own increased blood volume as well as be a source of hemoglobin for the growing fetus. A fetus needs iron to develop red blood cells, blood vessels and muscle.

Risk factors
These factors may increase the risk of iron deficiency anemia:

Heavy menstrual periods
Pregnancy
A diet consistently low in iron
A known or hidden source of bleeding within your body, such as an ulcer, a bleeding tumor, a uterine fibroid, a colon polyp, colorectal cancer or gastrointestinal bleeding.
These groups of people may be at higher risk:

Women. Because their bodies store less iron and because they lose blood during menstruation, women in general are at greater risk of iron deficiency anemia.
Infants and children. Infants who don't get enough iron in their milk or formula may risk deficiency. Children need extra iron during growth spurts, because iron is also important for muscle development. If your child isn't eating a healthy, varied diet, he or she may be at risk of anemia.
Vegetarians. Because vegetarians don't eat meat, they're at greater risk of iron deficiency anemia. Iron that comes from grains and vegetables isn't absorbed by the body as well as is iron that comes from meat.
In healthy men and postmenopausal women, iron deficiency usually points to bleeding somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract.

Donating blood — a source of blood loss — usually isn't a common risk factor for iron deficiency anemia. However, some people first learn their hemoglobin is low, which indicates anemia, when they go to donate blood. Low hemoglobin may be a temporary problem remedied by eating more iron-rich foods. It may also be a warning sign of blood loss in your body. If you're told that you can't donate blood because of low hemoglobin, ask your doctor whether you should be concerned.

When to seek medical advice
See your doctor or your child's doctor if you think you or your child may be anemic. Iron deficiency anemia isn't something to self-diagnose or treat. Take iron supplements only under a doctor's supervision. Overloading the body with iron can be dangerous. Excess iron accumulation can damage your liver, among other complications.

Iron deficiency anemia can recur. You may need follow-up visits to your doctor.

Screening and diagnosis
Doctors diagnose iron deficiency anemia mainly through blood tests. These may include tests to examine the size and color of your red blood cells. With iron deficiency anemia, red blood cells are smaller and paler in color than normal.

Your doctor will check your hematocrit — the percentage of your blood volume made up by red blood cells and hemoglobin. Normal levels of hemoglobin range between 11.1 and 15.0 grams per deciliter (g/dL). A lower than normal hemoglobin level indicates anemia. For women a low level is less than 10 g/dL, and for men a low level is less than 12 g/dL.

In addition, blood tests for iron deficiency anemia typically include a measurement of ferritin, a protein that helps store iron in your body. A low level of ferritin usually indicates a low level of iron.

Additional diagnostic tests
If your blood work indicates iron deficiency anemia, your doctor may order additional tests to identify an underlying cause. If your doctor suspects a source of bleeding within your body, you may need to have your stools tested for traces of blood. Blood in the stools is often an indicator of internal bleeding.

You may need these additional diagnostic tests:

Endoscopy. Doctors often check for bleeding from a hiatal hernia, bleeding ulcers and stomach bleeding with the aid of endoscopy. In this procedure, a thin, lighted tube equipped with a video camera is passed down your throat to your stomach. This allows your doctor to view your esophagus — the tube that runs from your mouth to your stomach — and your upper stomach to look for sources of bleeding.
Colonoscopy. To rule out lower intestinal sources of bleeding, your doctor may recommend a procedure called colonoscopy. A thin, flexible tube equipped with a video camera is inserted into the rectum and guided to your colon. You're usually sedated during this test. A colonoscopy allows your doctor to view some or all of your colon and rectum to look for internal bleeding.
Your doctor may order these or other tests after a trial period of treatment with iron supplementation.

Complications
Mild iron deficiency anemia usually doesn't cause complications. However, left untreated, iron deficiency anemia can become severe and lead to health problems, including the following:

Heart problems. Iron deficiency anemia may lead to a rapid or irregular heartbeat. Your heart must pump more blood to compensate for the lack of oxygen in the blood when you're anemic. In people with coronary artery disease — narrowing of the arteries that feed the heart — unchecked anemia can lead to angina. Angina is chest pain caused by decreased oxygen and blood flow to the heart muscle.
Problems during pregnancy. In pregnant women, severe iron deficiency anemia has been linked to premature births and low birth weight babies. But the condition is easily preventable and treatable in pregnant women who receive iron supplements as part of their prenatal care.
Growth problems. In infants and children, severe iron deficiency can lead to anemia as well as delayed growth. Untreated iron deficiency anemia can cause physical and mental delays in infants and children in areas such as walking and talking. Additionally, iron deficiency anemia is associated with a greater incidence of lead poisoning and an increased susceptibility to infections.

Treatment
Once you become deficient in iron to the point you develop anemia, increased intake of iron-rich foods is beneficial, but usually isn't enough to correct the problem. You need iron supplementation to build back your iron reserves, as well as to meet your body's daily iron requirements. In pregnant women, iron supplements help provide enough iron for both the mother and her fetus.

For children or adults with mild iron deficiency anemia, doctors may recommend a daily multivitamin containing iron. But typically, doctors recommend iron tablets — such as prescription ferrous sulfate tablets or an over-the-counter supplement. These oral iron supplements are usually best absorbed in an empty stomach. However, because iron can irritate your stomach, you may need to take the supplements with food. Your doctor may recommend that you take iron supplements with orange juice or with a vitamin C tablet. Vitamin C, in orange juice or tablet form, helps increase iron absorption.

Iron supplements can cause constipation, so your doctor may recommend a stool softener. Iron almost always turns stools black, which is a harmless side effect. Iron can be given by injection, but this usually isn't necessary.

Iron deficiency can't be corrected overnight. You may need to take iron supplements for several months or longer to replenish your iron reserves. Pregnant women routinely take prescription iron supplements for the duration of their pregnancy, to prevent or treat iron deficiency anemia.

Some infants may need supplemental iron. Breast milk and cow's milk may not contain enough iron for a growing infant. Most infant formulas contain adequate iron, but some babies require additional iron. Ask your baby's doctor about your child's iron requirements.

Treating causes other than poor diet
If iron supplements alone don't increase blood-iron levels in adults, it's likely the anemia is due to more than an iron-poor diet. It may be due to a source of bleeding or an iron-absorption problem that your doctor will need to investigate and treat. Depending on the cause, iron deficiency anemia treatment may involve:

Medications, such as oral contraceptives to lighten heavy menstrual flow
Antibiotics and other medications to treat peptic ulcers
Surgery to remove a bleeding polyp, a tumor or a fibroid
If iron deficiency anemia is severe, blood transfusions can help replace iron and hemoglobin quickly.

Prevention
You can help prevent iron deficiency anemia by eating foods rich in iron, as part of a balanced diet. Eating plenty of iron-containing foods is particularly important for people who have higher iron requirements, such as children and menstruating or pregnant women.

Foods rich in iron include red meat, seafood, poultry and eggs. Meat sources of iron are easily absorbed by your body.

Plant-based foods also are good sources of iron, although they're less easily absorbed. Among the best are iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas. Beans and peas, dark green leafy vegetables — such as spinach — and raisins, nuts, and seeds also contain iron.

You can enhance your body's absorption of iron by drinking citrus juice when you eat an iron-containing food. Vitamin C in citrus juices, like orange juice, helps your body better absorb dietary iron from animals and plants.

I found this last part very interesting, I knew from the prescribed iron tablets that taking Vit C was essential in helping absorption of iron, but I had not heard about drinking orange juice when eating iron rich foods. Very interesting!

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

Mack, thanks for posting that. At least we're getting to the root cause of the problem instead of just running to the doc for the next quick fix drug!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Well, I was eating Total until I found out that, because I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for acid reflux, iron will not be absorbed. That is why, even after months of taking highly absorbable, high dose iron, that my ferritin levels didn't budge.

And really, studies show that even when it is absorbed, that iron only helps a percentage of people. Worth a try for those people though.
Susan

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Mesolo,
I just wanted folks to see there are other ways of getting iron thru foods other than COW, since many cant seem to find COW.

Once again I am very happy that COW has solved your pain problem, but that does not help everyone with RLS. It certainly has not helped my RLS and so I will continue to take my Ultram or Hydrocodone each night, and SLEEP!

If we felt that all drugs were bad, afraid many of us would not be living today. Just look at the number of people who have won the battle with cancer due to DRUGS! And many other diseases have been cured by taking drugs!

I think each person should be responsible for making their own decisions and since the majority of folks on this message board have lived a long life of dealing with and suffering with RLS I feel if they can now take a drug and be able to sit still and sleep at night, there is nothing wrong with doing so.

Be very careful saying your RLS/pain is cured. As we all know that RLS can return at any time and with a vengence!

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

My point of starting this discussion in the first place was to help other people that had RLS as severe as I did, without the benefit of drugs or vitamins.

Now I know there are people out there that are not interested in trying anything new, especially if it's not a drug. GREAT, then just stick with what's working/not working for you and post your comments on the messageboards dealing with those.

Honestly, I only want to hear from people who have at least tried COW without any medication and experienced the same results that I have.

thanks!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

More iron might get to the root of the problem... if.... lack of iron is the problem.
I would be delighted if lack of iron was the cause of my rls, then I could do something about it. All tests/ferritan levels are good. However I will continue to try and seek out COW or its equivalent..... I am more than willing to try anything that has helped anyone else.
And have done for many many years. I have had rls for 30 years, severe for about 12 years, and 24/7 for about 5 years but have only been taking meds for 1 year. I think that shows I did not run drug seeking at the first sign of rls.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Mesolo,
Stated ..Now I know there are people out there that are not interested in trying anything new, especially if it's not a drug. GREAT, then just stick with what's working/not working for you and post your comments on the messageboards dealing with those.

Honestly, I only want to hear from people who have at least tried COW without any medication and experienced the same results that I have.

Mesolo,
I think the reason Betty and I have posted is to let you know that we HAVE tried the iron for our RLS, along with many other NON Pharm things and after doing so for MANY years we now have finally found relief for our rls thru prescription meds.

You ask for information from those who have tried iron products for their rls, (food/iron pills, iron IV's) . Both of us have tried iron and found No help for our rls.

Sorry I missed understood your intent.

I think it very unfair to make a statement that some RLSers are not interested in anything but drugs, because I honestly think that those of us who have had RLS all our lives have tried anything and everything non pharm over the years. as I stated in a post before, for many YEARS I walked the floor nightly and when I mentioned to Drs about my legs, they just looked at me like I was nuts! NO DRUGS were offered to me for my rls for well over 25 yrs. To me that is certainly LONG enough to suffer with rls before turning to drugs.

AGAIN, I am very happy that COW/iron has taken away your pain and creepy crawly RLS, but PLEASE do not judge those of us that have finally found something to control our RLS after years of suffering!!

One of the best food sources for iron is Liver.. I hate liver, but years ago when I heard that iron might help.. I even ate liver. many times.. with NO results of helping my rls.
IMHO its very unfair to judge others who have to deal with this horrid disorder.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi

the info is good and will try to use it.I have had rls for 23yrs if not longer had no meds as was never offered any ,basically was told go away and get on with your life we can do nothing.

Since coming to the site i have found out that things can be done ,either by diet ,meds or both .

So far ive asked dr about ferritin ,found it low , taking iron and am having good results of no or little pain at night .

Been told to improve diet and increase iron intake , if this does not work i will consider meds, i dont see it as weak ,i see it as necessary to be able to live a life free from pain that we did not ask for and that the drs are not able to cure.

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

Moonlight - thank you for replying. Don't know where you're from but I'm curious if they're continuously showing commercials for some drug to help RLS like they are where I'm from?

Let me know if you take either COW, Total or Liver and if it helps. COW is not the only food with high amounts of Iron in it, but it's the only one I'm eating. Another thing, I figure since I'm taking COW twice a day I should be getting at least 20 grams of Iron, I believe the RDA is 19.

Didn't have to go to a doctor to have my ferritin levels checked, that was something I never even heard of before going on this board.

Let me know how you're progressing. I'd really love to hear your story.

Thanks.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Mesolo, hello :P :P

I am from Scotland here we do not have adverts for any prescription meds only headache stuff things like that.In fact I think the doctors here are a bit ignorant about rls, having been told years ago to go and get on with my life and put up with it.

We don't get COW or Total here, have heard its farina here but cant find it anywhere and liver ........no ......i'm veggie....

I reckon my iron intake is only bout 2 if i am lucky,which I know is no where near what I should be taking .Because of my depression I dont eat,have to force myself which is silly really, so I am in a vicious circle which I am trying to break out of.

My iron tabs are 65mg, take three equalls 195mg a day.

Only now am I learning of the importance of eating properly.

Could you do something for me please........look on the COW pkt and see if there is a web address and send me it , I may be able to find a supplier through that.

thanks