Plantar Fasciitis Night Sock

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
XenMan

Plantar Fasciitis Night Sock

Post by XenMan »

I mentioned a Plantar Fasciitis Night Sock in some other threads, so will add a brief description here.

A quick search online will lead you to them. I have two different brands with the Strassburg my favourite. I adjust it so my foot is in a neutral position, that is if you were standing up straight with toes on the ground and then adjust the tension for that position. If it is too tight it is uncomfortable and keeps me awake.

I can’t accurately describe what it actually does, but my guess is that it places your foot in a position that is resistant to RLS symptoms being activated. With less activations, it is easier to release nerve and muscle tension in the calf muscle through pressure release and nerve gliding.

I initially used it to stop general calf aches after ‘Catching a Cramp’ stopped the usual RLS periodic cramps; which some describe as the crawling sensation. At first it brought on a new lighter cramp when wearing it at bed time, as opposed to putting it on when the aches started. But when I worked on the tight areas of my calf a few times a day, the sock now stops all RLS symptoms when worn through the night. Although my calf muscles still have a light ache through the day, this is reducing as I continue to work on any residual tension and stretch tight areas.

I’m working with a good physio to eliminate all nerve tension, with proper nerve gliding, and addressing other issues such as getting new orthotics for my feet; which is where I think all of this started.

If you have normal RLS symptoms I can’t vouch for what effect the sock may have, but if you have managed to change your symptoms through ‘Catching a Cramp’ or just have persistent aches, it is worth a try.

peanut1

Re: Plantar Fasciitis Night Sock

Post by peanut1 »

I have the night splints which actually make the RLS worse.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

You and many others pinpoint your RLS to the calf. I would have said the same thing 20 years ago but now it seems to all be in my thighs. What a strange disease.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Mine has always been focused at my joints (ankles, knees, wrists), ranging out from there along the limbs as the intensity ramps up. And - hard to think about it, but I think more along the front of the leg and the outside of the arm....
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.