A home TENS unit that works! Ahhh!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
BarryO

A home TENS unit that works! Ahhh!

Post by BarryO »

Finally, relief! It's called the "TENS 7000, 2nd edition" available from Amazon for $26.99. And it works ... at least for me. And my RLS has been quite severe.

If I sound surprised, it's because I am. I'd purchased a $80 private label home unit from a national drug store chain and it was a bust. I found this cheapy on Amazon, and noticed the high ratings, so figured what the heck. For $30, I'd try about anything. I struck pay dirt.

Note: Placement of the electrodes is quite important. I place one pad high on the inner calf and the other about mid-calf, so the current is going across the most annoying of my RLS symptoms. Same placement on both legs. I do both legs at the same time, and set the intensity separately for each. The benefit is immediate and lasts for hours after a 30 minute session.

Here's to hope for all my fellow RLS sufferers!

ViewsAskew

Re: A home TENS unit that works! Ahhh!

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have that same unit! Sadly, doesn't help my RLS, but it does help with pain. Glad it is helping you and hope it continues to!

Is your RLS what you describe as painful? I always wonder if there is a specific "type" of symptoms that are more likely to be helped by certain treatments.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I wonder if I never had luck with TENS cuz too many places in my legs are going at the same time. I tried it on lower back as well, no help. Maybe if I had 8 pairs of electrodes .... haha
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:I wonder if I never had luck with TENS cuz too many places in my legs are going at the same time. I tried it on lower back as well, no help. Maybe if I had 8 pairs of electrodes .... haha

You could always by 5 units - they are only $20 to $25, lol.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Thanks for the recommendation on the TENS Unit. Mine is getting due to be be replaced. These days I find two of the small electrodes on my lower back/buttocks sufficient, but for the first few years I used 4 of them in a square around my buttocks. Wasn't able to find spots of my legs where I could tolerate them so decided to try to interrupt the signals and it helped me. It wasn't until I was on the other side of augmentation that it helped though. My non professional theory is that it's not enough to stop symptoms that are secondary to medication.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

BarryO

Post by BarryO »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:53 am
I have that same unit! Sadly, doesn't help my RLS, but it does help with pain. Glad it is helping you and hope it continues to!

Is your RLS what you describe as painful? I always wonder if there is a specific "type" of symptoms that are more likely to be helped by certain treatments.
Short answer is No, not painful. My RLS is severe, and terribly agonizing. But not characterized as painful. Calfs are like rubber bands that have been wound really tight to the point of intolerance. Also, the TENS unit does not provide needed night-time relief; Rx still required.

RLKamm

Post by RLKamm »

Just got the tens unit and hooked it up as you did on the calf. What pulse width did you use and what pulse rate? Thanks Rlkamm

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

RLKamm wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Just got the tens unit and hooked it up as you did on the calf. What pulse width did you use and what pulse rate? Thanks Rlkamm
This post was so long ago, the person may not be on the forum any longer, unfortunately.

Managing Your RLS