Take Lavander Massage Oil to Your Masseuse

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
RLS Ouch

Take Lavander Massage Oil to Your Masseuse

Post by RLS Ouch »

This may help RLS sufferers.

badnights

Re: Take Lavander Massage Oil to Your Masseuse

Post by badnights »

I just saw a study in which olive oil massage was tested on WED/RLS patients against a paraffin oil massage, and was found to be more effective. I didn't see the details, just a summary.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wonder why?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I wonder why?
Indeed.

And is it a useful result? I didn't pursue it but after I read that their IRLSSG severity scores were lowered and that the lowering met the criteria for statistical significance, I wondered where on the scale their scores before and after fell, and how long the effect lasted. e.g. if their scores went from very severe to severe and the effect only lasted 10 minutes, then it's not helpful at all.

But heck - if I had someone to rub lavender oil or olive oil into me, I'd go for it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

There's an interesting podcast called Science Vs. An episode from September 21 2018 called "Essential Oils: Science or Snake Oil" researches studies on essential oils and basically says that even though they might work (a little) on mice, they don't work on humans. Listen to it and form your own conclusions—it's only 29 minutes long.