Weight loss

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
zeefy

Weight loss

Post by zeefy »

Does anyone know if weight loss helps stop RLS? Thanks

stjohnh

Re: Weight loss

Post by stjohnh »

I don't know. I do know that weight gain does NOT stop it. LOL.
Blessings,
Holland

zeefy

Post by zeefy »

stjohnh wrote:I don't know. I do know that weight gain does NOT stop it. LOL.
LOL. I keep reading that being overweight increases your chances of getting RLS, but I haven't heard anyone mention weight loss as a remedy.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

There is the old adage about how we are all different. In my case, my genetics are such that I don't gain weight easily. I hear "you need to gain some weight" all the time, occasionally even from my doctor. My BMI has always been low, 19 or 20, and my RLS is severe. So, at least in my case, weight loss has nothing to do with my RLS.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

zeefy wrote:
stjohnh wrote:I don't know. I do know that weight gain does NOT stop it. LOL.
LOL. I keep reading that being overweight increases your chances of getting RLS, but I haven't heard anyone mention weight loss as a remedy.
I had the same question about 5 years ago :-) http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8863&p=74803 :)

Today I know the answer: It's an urban myth. I have yet to see a study that even hints at a cause-effect relation, all I see is correlations -- people with RLS tend to have a higher BMI. Duh! You might as well claim that ambulances cause traffic accidents, because ambulances are almost always present if there is a traffic accident, right?

Sleeplessness equals weight gain. There are some hormones regulating appetite and food processing (something about how our body reacts to food, whether it can burn it or stores it as fat), I don't remember the details though. But there was a study where students were checked after (a) 8+ hours sleep or (b) 6 hours sleep. The second group had signficiant higher concentrations of those appetite hormones. (And 6 hours is a good night for us, of course.) The study was referenced in one of Gundrys books IIRC.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have been as thin as 120 pounds and as heavy as 250. I have been all over the place in between. Gain, lose, stay the same, doesn't matter.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.