PLMD and venous insufficiency?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
wantok

PLMD and venous insufficiency?

Post by wantok »

Anyone ever heard of a sufferer of PLMD (principally) finding any relief with varicose vein surgery? I have huge varicose veins that I have been told are only a cosmetic issue.

Polar Bear

Re: PLMD and venous insufficiency?

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't heard of vascular surgery helping PLMD.
As an aside, I had vascular surgery for leg veins and it did nothing for my RLS.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

wantok wrote:Anyone ever heard of a sufferer of PLMD (principally) finding any relief with varicose vein surgery? I have huge varicose veins that I have been told are only a cosmetic issue.
A subset of people do get relief. Not everyone.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

wantok

Post by wantok »

Is this RLS or PLMD (I know it applies to RLS sometimes). I am guessing there is no info on PLMD specifically and varicose veins.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

wantok wrote:Is this RLS or PLMD (I know it applies to RLS sometimes). I am guessing there is no info on PLMD specifically and varicose veins.
Only RLS that I know of.

I stopped trying to figure out anything about my PLMS long ago as they truly don't know anything. They don't study it, they just know a lot of people have it and most people aren't bothered all that much. Well, gee, whiz, what about those who are???? Clearly, we are not important in the scheme of research funding!

PLMD - a sleep disorder that occurs in the absence of ANY other sleep disorders - is truly an orphan. PLMS - movements in sleep that occur when people have other sleep disorders - isn't studied much more and is often considered that it will improve if the primary issue improves. No idea if that is really true...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.