What’s working for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for WED/RLS (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Mroe67

Re: What’s working for me

Postby Mroe67 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 pm

I’m still taking a half tab of Mexipril, almost afraid to stop along with Kratom, any suggestions as to what to do, hate to have another bad night since the Kratom seems to be helping

badnights

Re: What’s working for me

Postby badnights » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 am

Hi Mroe67

You will find a vast assortment of things that work for one or two people. But there are a few things that seem to work for many people.

First and foremost is iron. Whether or not oral or IV iron helps, WED/RLS is a disorder casued by a deficiency of iron in the brain. As mentioned, oral iron takes a long time to have an effect - months. Keep on it.

Magnesium can be the same. If you're deficient in any nutrient - and many North Americans are deficient in Mg - then the deficiency can alter your metabolism and aggravate WED/RLS. Mg also takes time to build up.

Vitamin D is another one that many North Americans are deficient in. Many of us have found that supplementing helps. There is also some evidence suggesting that it might be important in WED/RLS.

Other than those, some people have found that a gluten-free diet helps symptoms. Others have found that a low-oxalate diet, or various other diets, help; for example I reduced my meds by half after I started the Wahls diet (6 cups of vegetables a day, gluten and dairy free, fish oils, organ meats, no added sugar, very low carb and no grains, no highly processed foods, no additives). There might be a common denonminator there - nutrients are needed to carry out cellular metabolism and a lack can throw things out of whack with significant downstream effects, including neurological ones. This is a newish and growing field of research, so nothing much is certain. I would recommend at least cutting out added sugar and easily digested starches (and eating starchy foods with fat when you do eat starches or fruit) and jacking up the vegetable intake.

Kratom helps because it has opioid-like properties. It's the real deal.

You can cold-turkey from that low of a dose of pramipexole. It will involve increased symptoms no matter how you do it, and the faster you get off the shorter the time you're tortured. Plus, you have the kratom now and you could take more if needed to get over the withdrawal.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Return to “Physical Treatments”