Adivce for cast wearers

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
cast

Adivce for cast wearers

Post by cast »

Hello,
Does anyone have advice in reagrds to dealing with a lower leg cast?
Thank you

pcanfiel

Lower Leg Cast

Post by pcanfiel »

I will have a lower leg cast in two weeks. I am currently on crutches. Did anyone offer you advise. It is 3 am and I am up because my legs won't rest.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Can't say I've had any direct experience with a cast since I have had RLS. Casts are hot and itchy, which could be bad. I would think you'd need to make sure your RLS was under control before you got it done if you were already using meds. That would help. If you didn't normally take them, I would think it would be a good time to temporarily try an opioid or tramadol.

If possible maybe they could make it a cast that comes off. If the RLS was unbearable, then you could soak the limb in cold or hot water, whichever works for you. Temperature regulation would be difficult if it couldn't be taken off. Exercise would be important - not to get too much more than usual wearing a heaving case because that could set off worse than normal RLS.

And watching what meds you got in general for whatever reason you needed to get the cast would be important. Always use a medical card when you have anything done at a doctor's or hospital.