Autism devices

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ratfancy

Autism devices

Post by ratfancy »

Has anyone tried pressure devices used for autism? https://www.got-specialkids.com/Sensory ... p/3982.htm

ViewsAskew

Re: Autism devices

Post by ViewsAskew »

I take it you mean separate from RLS? I have several friends who work with people with autism - it depends on the person, but they truly can be very calming for many.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

You mean has anyone tried things like weighted pads or blankets and compression clothing for WED/RLS? I have often felt that I would like a weighted blanket, but the price and the uncertainty about its usefulness have put me off. Plus, I no longer feel that I would like it - - maybe the sensory component of my disease has changed, or improved.

I don't think the compression clothing would work for me as designed - I would like compression in very specific spots and without the sensation of materials against my skin - lol good luck with that - and I would want to be able to add and remove it quickly.

I took a look at the site and was intrigued by the squeeze roller - if I could run my arms or legs thru something like that, it might be useful. Sort of like the wringer on an old-old-school washing machine.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

badnights wrote:I took a look at the site and was intrigued by the squeeze roller - if I could run my arms or legs thru something like that, it might be useful. Sort of like the wringer on an old-old-school washing machine.
Yes, I could hack this ok.

However, the thought of actual in situ compression would drive me crazy.
I once put on a pair of compression flight socks thinking to myself.... oh don't they feel nice and firm !! They lasted about 15 minutes.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Polar Bear wrote:However, the thought of actual in situ compression would drive me crazy.
I once put on a pair of compression flight socks thinking to myself.... oh don't they feel nice and firm !! They lasted about 15 minutes.
It's funny how that works. You put them on, it feels great, then it stops feeling great, then it starts causing worse WED symptoms :twisted: :twisted: and you rip them off!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:However, the thought of actual in situ compression would drive me crazy.
It's funny how that works. You put them on, it feels great, then it stops feeling great, then it starts causing worse WED symptoms :twisted: :twisted: and you rip them off!
Exactly! They put those on when I had a pedicure. Great, I thought. Soon I was yelling for them to stop the torture!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.