John Hopkins Study and meditation

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
psagot

John Hopkins Study and meditation

Post by psagot »

The year old study is here:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/ne ... as-a-cause

I find that ever since I started meditation RLS symptoms have disappeared. The study says that RLS is associated with excitability of the cortex. This may explain why meditation is so helpful.

Rustsmith

Re: John Hopkins Study and meditation

Post by Rustsmith »

I have used meditation for years to help with my more severe migraine episodes. Unfortunately, when I try to do the same with my RLS, it only makes the urges more emphatic. As always, we are all different.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

psagot wrote:The year old study is here:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/ne ... as-a-cause

I find that ever since I started meditation RLS symptoms have disappeared. The study says that RLS is associated with excitability of the cortex. This may explain why meditation is so helpful.
That is so awesome!

I had a 15 year meditation practice that ended with the RLS became severe. Over time, and because of infusions, the severity has lessened and I find I can mediate some - depends on time of day. I definitely think it helps me be more calm in the face of the RLS - to remember that this, too, shall pass.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

psagot wrote: I find that ever since I started meditation RLS symptoms have disappeared. The study says that RLS is associated with excitability of the cortex. This may explain why meditation is so helpful.
Chronic stress will throw your cortisol out of whack and affect your immune system. That's why meditation or anything that lowers stress may help some patients. It's not just in your head, it's in your hormones :)