Do hot baths work for everyone?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Stainless

Do hot baths work for everyone?

Post by Stainless »

I take a very hot bath about every day. Often two. I empty the hot water tank into the tub and get between 108 and 112F. It almost always gives me some relief and often makes the RLS disappear for a while. I sometimes take one in the early evening and usually a second just before bed at 10 pm. I've been seriously considering a Hot Tub for years but they only get to 107F and that feels just tepid to me anymore. I know they say 112F is too hot but that's what I've been doing for the last five years. If it gets that hot usually just sit a few minutes to relieve the RLS and come back about 20 minutes later to finish. The electric bill increase has been hardly noticeable and much cheaper than the doctors and meds.

Bridgercan

Re: Do hot baths work for everyone?

Post by Bridgercan »

That sounds quite hot but if it gets you relief, albeit temporarily, that’s good! RLS never ceases to amaze and baffle me what works for one person but not another...

For me, 102-103 degree soak for 20-30 minutes with a good amount of Ancient Minerals magnesium salts will bring me a couple of hours of relief from all but severe symptoms. Often that’s just enough time for an additional dose of meds to kick in to quell an unexpected outbreak of symptoms and get to sleep.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Many of us have commented on the fact that we appear to have the ability to tolerate contact with much hotter surfaces than others, be it water in a tub or hot surfaces in the kitchen. I find that soaking my legs in water that is probably in Stainless's temperature range is the only non-medication way that I can turn off the urge to move. I only benefit for 15 to 20 minutes, but at least it helps.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy »

Hot baths work occasionally for me as well, but it’s an odd game. Typically they only work after 2:00am and when I’m so exhausted I’m stumbling like a drunk. I’ve never measured the actual temp, but I set it as hot as I can tolerate. I soak and until the water cools. If I’m fortunate, I can then sleep through the rest of the night.
Steve