TENS placement for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
wantok

TENS placement for RLS

Post by wantok »

sleepdancer2

Re: TENS placement for RLS

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Just read this after answering your PM. Without digging up my 10 year old journals I can't say if I ever tried this exact configuration. Just based on the theories of how TENS works this seems reasonable to me. Wouldn't hurt to try, but try everything for a long enough period to be reasonably certain it's not going to work.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

XenMan

Re: TENS placement for RLS

Post by XenMan »

I covered everything I know in previous threads, and I'm with sleepdancer2 in that I have never tried this configuration, or would. So all you can do is try it and see. My guess is this would target a large range of muscles and nerves, as a blunt instrument. Sometimes works, often does nothing.

For anyone following advice, especially from websites such as this one, there is often a disconnect from reality as there is a lot content to pad out the site or promote what is the main business model. The advantage of forums is you have people who have tried, succeeded and failed, providing a good starting point to find an individual strategy. Which is what will be needed.

As I mentioned with physical approaches, including TENs with or without EMS, it won't cure or provide consistent results for most people. It is just another tool. My collection of RLS nighttime accessories is around a dozen pieces, suitable for different trigger points and symptoms.