Hypnosis?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
martin_bch

Hypnosis?

Post by martin_bch »

I would be interested in hearing what people on here specifically tried (in person, self hypnosis, recordings...)
and what specifically was being attempted. From what I saw and read, sounds like most people just going for "relaxation".
Anything else...? what worked? how long? any specific comments?

I am new to this board. I have worked with many with RLS and other Chronic conditions.
When I searched on this site for the keyword "hypnosis", all I saw were folks saying they "tried it".

I appreciate anyone's comments or feedback. Look forward to hearing about your specific situations.

Martin
"It blew my mind once I learned I could separate suffering from pain"
Martin, BCH, MNLP
(Board Certified Hypnotist, Master NLP Practitioner)

Rustsmith

Re: Hypnosis?

Post by Rustsmith »

Martin, welcome to our discussion board.

I have used self hypnosis type techniques for many years as a way of managing my migraine headaches when they become severe. The practice that I use helps me block the pain long enough to be able to fall asleep and hopefully the headache is gone when I awaken.

When my RLS went from mild to severe, I tried to do use the same technique and it was a total disaster. The jerking and urge to move was so severe that I could not maintain my focus. I cannot speak for others, but the only two things that work for me that do not involve medications are walking until the urges have passed (which can be all night) and soaking in a very hot bath. Early on I tried listening to quiet music (mostly classical) and that helped some but usually didn't provide sufficient relief from the urges to be able to fall asleep.

What I have found is that on really bad nights, it appears that my neurochemistry is so out of kilter that even medications that are strong enough that they should knock me out have zero effect. In fact, during my worst episode last Thanksgiving, I could not even manage to sit on a stool for more than about 20 seconds and sitting in a chair was totally out of the question.

But I also have to state that my RLS is much more severe than most, so just because something doesn't work for me doesn't mean that someone else might not find benefit if their RLS is not as bad (which would apply to most RLS patients).
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

martin_bch

Post by martin_bch »

Much of my research on chronic symptoms often tie back or have a significant component tied back to prior emotional trauma.

So far I have started tracking several cases of RLS that seem to have strong correlation this RLS onset. Since RLS often has genetic and biological components, I would not think causation, but correlation with the onset or amplification does seem to have some relationship.

To folks reading this, did you notice any timing related to trauma and your RLS? If so, I would love to hear more from you.

Martin
"It blew my mind once I learned I could separate suffering from pain"
Martin, BCH, MNLP
(Board Certified Hypnotist, Master NLP Practitioner)

badnights

Post by badnights »

My WED/RLS was always present and I think it was getting worse around 2004-2007, but I was managing (I was tired a lot and I noticed it at night sometimes - but it had no name so I rarely had a conscious thought about it).

In 2007 I lost my balance and fell while working in the mountains, resulting in a ripped-apart knee. I also got a spider bite that resulted in cellulitis that ate into the bone of my upper arm. I had surgery on the knee after the infection was dealt with (actually 3 surgeries, because they had a problem) and had crazy symptoms during surgery. Afterward, presumably my RLS/WED was in overdrive but actually, I rarely noticed the urge to move and the nasty sensations, I only noticed the hyper-alertness. I could not maintain sleep. Like a giant clawed hand reaching into the depths of my sleep and pulling me, unwilling, upward to wake. My doctors eventually diagnosed WED/RLS and I eventually agreed to take ropinirole and that's all she wrote - augmentation, disaster, life over, etc.

So you could say the onset coincided with physical trauma. I had just returned to university, doing a Masters degree in my 40's, that was stressful, but not traumatic. My son was having problems, stress but not trauma. Cumulative stuff happening in my life (rape, alcoholic husband, yada yada) maybe adds up to trauma at some point, but the biggest trauma of my entire life that I can recall is the out-of-control WED/RLS symptoms I endured for 3 weeks after stopping pramipexole, gabapentin, and codeine.

I have tried using visualization techniques to heal my brain. This is only possible when I can sit still long enough to meditate and am alert enough not to fall asleep, so the only time is as soon as I get up in the morning (and even then I often have problems with falling asleep). I haven't done it much and it has had no noticeable effect (unsurprisingly, since I haven't done it consistently).

I guess I should say I've also used that visualization method to soothe chronic shoulder injuries (I visualize a glowing light or soothing silver that creeps thru my muscle fibers and along the fascia and sorts things out) and I have convinced myself it helps.

I've also used a billion kinds of music that're supposed to help you sleep (binaural beats, and lots of other stuff that I can't remember) none of which worked - there's always an irritating noise at some point that wakes me up. Except! there is actually one piece I use a lot, built on Neuroprogrammer - I play it on repeat all night long, low volume.
And I've just plain meditated, hoping to strengthen the neural pathways of calmness / right side of brain / build mental habits of peace vs. stress. Inspired by Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight". - but I stopped. Why did I stop. argh.
I've played with a biofeedback program called Healing Rhythms, but that was not for WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.