Sequential Compression Device: how long?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
wantok

Sequential Compression Device: how long?

Post by wantok »

I have been using a compression device on my calves for an hour before bed for a week now. No change. If this works, does it usually work right away? (PLMD is principal complaint, but I do have RLS. Hasn't helped either so far.)

ViewsAskew

Re: Sequential Compression Device: how long?

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think it is supposed to be immediate. BUT - that is for RLS. I don't know that it helps PLMS at all. For me, nothing ever solves the PLMS except a DA. Opioids stop the RLS and reduce the PLMS, but I still move a lot. I don't awaken much, though, so I figure it is a win.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: Sequential Compression Device: how long?

Post by badnights »

I think it is more preventative - nip it in the bud, sort of. If you put the compression device on while symptoms are going on, it won't make much difference. If you put it on before they get bad, maybe just as you get the first inkling that they're starting up, then maybe it has some beneficial effect.

I'm back and forth on mine; I think they do help at times but they sure as heck will never help enough for me to lower my meds. I have a low-end set of cuffs; perhaps a fancier device would be of more benefit.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.