My Secret? The "O"

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Man, talk about livening up the board. I'm logging in 12 times a day just to see what's up with this post.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Anonymous wrote:Views-- we are neighbors!

And she gets testy when I ask anyway!

I can be handy and yes multiple times per night now only applies to bathroom visits. :?

I hear you on that! Gotta say that the multiple bathroom visits have stopped considerable since I managed to get the PLMD under control. For awhile I thought I had diabetes or bladder disease of some type - I was in the bathroom 10 times a night. Then I realized I just went to the bathroom because I was awake - after 40 years of behavioral conditioning (wake in the night, go to the bathroom), I figured I was awake because I had to pee. Eventually I figured out it didn't have anything to do with peeing. Now I often don't get up at all. So I don't have multiples of ANYTHING anymore.

Are you in the city or the 'burbs? I'm on the north side - Lakeview area.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SJ

"O" it works

Post by SJ »

:oops: Trouble with the big "O" is you can't find one at my age. :cry:
If you never try anything new, nothing will ever change"

tried it, no luck

Post by guest »

But, I think you're on to sometime. Now, I'm not a neuoscientist, but I've been trying to figure out how the brain works in regards to this, and here's my theory. Sex is pleasureable, which I think results in a release of dopamine in your brain.

Requip also functions by increasing dopamine, and it works for me. I think mirapex operates on a different mechanism though, which might explain why it didn't work well for me and made me feel like crap.

Smoking dope results in increased dopamine as well, which might explain why that works for some people

So are we on to something?

I also think there are several different types of RLS, different mechanisms. I don't feel pain, just 'electricity'... others report feeling pain. Perhaps these are complete different modes?

SJ

Post by SJ »

:oops: This topic is one of those that I think we all should be able to discuss openly but darn if an old gal like me doesn't still think it's private
But here goes. Yes, my very unscientific point of view is that it is in the brain chemistry. Until we find a way to permanently turn it on,(the dopamine ) we’ll just have to turn ourselves on. Works for me!

SJ
"Health is worth more than learning."
Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
And sex is worth a good nights sleep.

trevb

Re: tried it, no luck

Post by trevb »

guest wrote: Sex is pleasureable, which I think results in a release of dopamine in your brain.

Requip also functions by increasing dopamine, and it works for me. I think mirapex operates on a different mechanism though, which might explain why it didn't work well for me and made me feel like crap.

Smoking dope results in increased dopamine as well, which might explain why that works for some people

So are we on to something? ?

yes youre right............. the orgasm releases the bodys natural endorphines which are opiod based chemicals that we get when we have sex, laugh, eat chocolate and after exercise. they disinhibit the dopamine pathways, causing more dopamine to be released. the male orgasm is different to the female in so much as different things happen (obviously)

im a male and i have found that an orgasm doesnt stop my rls. it seems from this post that females generally seem to find it . id like to see if other males find it helps or not to see if gender affects the outcome???

guest wrote: I also think there are several different types of RLS, different mechanisms. I don't feel pain, just 'electricity'... others report feeling pain. Perhaps these are complete different modes?

hmm interesting thought!!

SJ

the big "O"

Post by SJ »

I agree about the chocolate and the brain but when you throw in it's caffiene, I'd say no chococate. I've been corisponding with Jill (rebel) and I really believe much of what she advocates. We have to learn our triggers and keep our bodies healthy. Good health promotes less symtoms. If you are healthy , you are less tired and if yu are less tired you have less smytoms. OK replace all the you'S with I. That is what "I" found. SJ

trevb

Post by trevb »

i wasnt advocating rls sufferers to eat chocolate, do exercise, laugh or have sex. i was simply giving examples of which substances release endorphines.
is that clearer? :wink:

always_awake

and I thought it was just me

Post by always_awake »

well the "o" seems to be mostly women... but ya know a few times I "a guy" had that feeling "o", my twitching and pain felt like it went a way, thought it was just a quinky-dink... maybe there is some truth to it... there most be something that it releases in our bodies to lessen the feeling or maybe it puts us at ease... I tell ya with RLS, my mind racing, the wife waking ya up "stop shaking the bed"... I am glad I dont require too much sleep... LOL

hmmm now where are all those RLS girls... LOL

Re: and I thought it was just me

Post by Guest »

[quote
hmmm now where are all those RLS girls... LOL[/quote]

Already taken. :wink:
My husband is a lucky man. :lol:

Girly Girl

Post by Girly Girl »

Above- that was me- Girly Girl.