BEST MATTRESS FOR RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Icantsleep

BEST MATTRESS FOR RLS

Post by Icantsleep »

So I'm looking to invest in a new mattress (and base)

I'm sleeping alone so transferring motion to my partner isnt an issue
Staying cool might be nice but not the main goal

Would a fancy vibrating adjustable base be useful ?

I'm considering a medium to firm tempur pedic with base

If money isnt an object, what's good for someone with severe nighttime RLS ???

ViewsAskew

Re: BEST MATTRESS FOR RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

We had a Tempurpedic for movement - worked great for that, but we did not like it for other things. They do sleep warm, and sex is much more difficult. As a couple, that was problematic.

We know have a part latex one that I like a LOT. I have fibro, so I wanted a bit of snuggle to it, but not sinking in so I couldn't move. The latex has more bounce.

Have never tried an adjustable vibrating one, but that might be nice.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

We have an adjustable bed with the vibrator but I never use the vibrator. But the adjustable part is great and the one that we got is a split king. That means that we have a "single" bed but my movements at night do not bother my wife.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

TimG

Post by TimG »

We have a firm mattress that I like. When we replace it we plan to get a split King because my movements can wake up my wife.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I just bought a Nectar. It's on the firm side if you are normal weight.

Kansas

Post by Kansas »

My husband I have a queen size memory foam mattress that was a “mattress in a box." He never feels me get up at night. It was not expensive, we have separate covers. buy one where it can be returned. If you want to pay more, go to a store and both lay down on the mattress so you can see if one getting up bothers the other. and the dual mattress sounds good.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I second the suggestion to go to a mattress store. I went to several. I also did a LOT of mattress research to find out what they had in them, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Good mattresses are expensive so, yes, go to a bed store and try them out.

Rika

Post by Rika »

I feel comfortable in my current bed, and it is a twin. The good mattresses are super expensive and I cannot afford it on a fixed income.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Did you ever get your mattress? The funny thing for me is that 3 years ago my husband and I splurged and got 2 adjustable twin XL beds from a local mattress store where they make the mattresses themselves. Bought them because I was--and still am--going through a lot of back/hip pain. Unfortunately the new bed, even though it was adjustable, never helped my back at all. But when I first started having bad RLS in 2018, I would go sleep in our guest bedroom so I wouldn't bother my husband. In there, we only have a very basic twin bed that's good enough for an occasional guest. What I realized after a while was that my back stopped hurting! And I'm only remembering this now because I am again going through a very bad time with RLS and sleeping in there again--and once again, my back is doing much better on this cheap twin bed.

For me, the mattress doesn't seem to matter at all for RLS: if I sleep, I sleep soundly on the cheap mattress, but if I have RLS, I don't sleep at all in either bed.

badnights

Post by badnights »

For me, the mattress doesn't seem to matter at all for RLS: if I sleep, I sleep soundly on the cheap mattress, but if I have RLS, I don't sleep at all in either bed.
Too true. It can make a big difference for backs but no difference for WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I’ve been sold on Tempur-Pedic for a long time. We have a house full now. I picked the most firm one when we finally upgraded to a king. Big mistake. Expensive to do over.

nightcat

Post by nightcat »

I realize this is an old thread, but I hope to get some new responses.

We bought a tempurpedic a couple of months ago. For a solid month, every night I had terrible RLS. It drove me into the guest room, where we have a very old coil mattress. My RLS was better - milder and not every night. I concluded that the tempurpedic was the problem, maybe causing too much pressure on my legs.

I have a one-time chance to exchange the mattress, so I looked at a mattress with coils. But it also has a few inches of foam, and I worry the foam will set off RLS.

Has anyone found that foam - either tempurpedic or another kind - sets off RLS?

Thanks.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I cant say that my rls symptoms have been affected by any different mattress whether on holiday or in one of my own guest bedrooms. However, my symptoms are very random. I suffer most of the time but at varying levels and it would be hard to tell if I was having better/worse night or if it was because of a different mattress.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

donnaanastasi

Post by donnaanastasi »

We just splurged on a split king bed with adjustable bases. We got the Saatva/Leaf and Loom Relaxed Firm mattress which is a memory foam mattress. I have now slept in it for two nights and in my humble opinion it exacerbates my RLS symptoms. The mattress is described as providing the sensation of being held. Well, that feels very confining and I'll describe my reaction as almost claustrophobic. Saatva has a 365 day return policy and I am probably going to give this memory foam mattress another couple of nights trial. They also have a hybrid coil/foam mattress that works with the adjustable base. I will try that one next.
Because Saatva is exclusively online there is no "try before you buy" but their return policy is great. I feel guilty for sending a perfectly good mattress back but I don't look forward to the sensation of climbing into this bed at night.
I will post again when I swap mattresses.
Donna A
nightcat wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:25 am
I realize this is an old thread, but I hope to get some new responses.

We bought a tempurpedic a couple of months ago. For a solid month, every night I had terrible RLS. It drove me into the guest room, where we have a very old coil mattress. My RLS was better - milder and not every night. I concluded that the tempurpedic was the problem, maybe causing too much pressure on my legs.

I have a one-time chance to exchange the mattress, so I looked at a mattress with coils. But it also has a few inches of foam, and I worry the foam will set off RLS.

Has anyone found that foam - either tempurpedic or another kind - sets off RLS?

Thanks.