I Think I Found A Possible Cause and Definite Treatment for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
IThinkImInTorture

I Think I Found A Possible Cause and Definite Treatment for RLS

Post by IThinkImInTorture »

I think I am on to something here with the RLS cause and treatment regiment. I am dead serious. I'm a 48 year old white male with RLS and the MTHFR gene mutation. I, recently as of tonight, was able to treat my RLS with a methylated form of B12, Adenosylcobalamin 1000mcg. My RLS symptoms subdued within 10 minutes of dissolving the tablet under my tongue. I am so excited I cannot sleep. I think there is value in conducting research on the correlation between RLS and the MTHFR gene mutation. 

I discovered that I had the MTHFR gene mutation when my psychiatrist ordered a Genomind mental health map/assay.

Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase
(MTHFR)
C677T:
T/T
A1298C:
A/A
[Low activity]
MTHFR is an enzyme responsible for the conversion of folic acid to methylfolate
which is a cofactor needed for serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine synthesis
‡ Risk for reduced MTHFR enzyme activity and reduced methylfolate
production
‡ L-methylfolate supplementation of SSRIs and SNRIs show improved
symptom reduction and medication adherence compared to SSRIs/SNRIs
alone in Major Depressive Disorder
‡ L-methylfolate may be an effective monotherapy for patients with Major
Depressive Disorder
Therapeutic options:
L-methylfolate may be used if
clinically indicated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene ... _reductase

XenMan

Re: I Think I Found A Possible Cause and Definite Treatment for RLS

Post by XenMan »

This is very interesting. Please keep us updated when this works for a week, then a month and if it keeps doing the job. I had a similar effect with potassium as my body loaded. I could take 1 gm and symptoms would stop. But when I normalised levels, this benefit stopped as there was no longer a change in levels and a relief from symptoms.

Getting into the theory of RLS, it is a complex process with many factors. The genetics are certainly interesting as I think there would be a consensus that genes are what gives someone a potential to have RLS. What is open to debate is how the condition develops from there to experience symptoms.

As my RLS is from oxalate, I can create a model from experience that has some sort of insight to one path of development; with no doubt there are numerous others. There could possibly be one or more core elements that allow RLS to develop, such as what you have highlighted through the MTHFR enzyme. I would also caution that due to a large range of experiences, many treatments are more of a disruption of the process that work for minor symptoms and fail with more extreme examples of the condition.

Keep us updated, and good luck.

IThinkImInTorture

Post by IThinkImInTorture »

Nope, false alarm. However, the Biotin, B1 and methylated B12 do help the body lessen the symptoms but don't cure RLS.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Thanks for sharing.

These things are worth a try, as well as an explanation.

Good luck with your RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Nope, false alarm. However, the Biotin, B1 and methylated B12 do help the body lessen the symptoms but don't cure RLS.
At least you've found something that helps. Your body must have been in need of those things. We probably would all benefit from finding out (somehow) what our bodies need.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.