Vein Clinic Consult

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
IThinkImInTorture

Vein Clinic Consult

Post by IThinkImInTorture »

Hello

I went to get a Vein Clinic consult with a follow up leg vein ultrasound Thursday. The vein doctor says many people who get varicose vein removal treatment due to venous insufficiency notice their Restless Leg Syndrome symptoms are treated with good results.

Anybody else had the sclerotherapy or other vein procedure done and notice it treated your RLS symptoms?

Thoughts?

Polar Bear

Re: Vein Clinic Consult

Post by Polar Bear »

Possibly 20 years ago I had treatment for a varicose vein on one leg. The Consultant told me it would have no affect on my RLS and indeed there was no difference on my RLS after surgery. I am unaware which method of treatment was used.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

worth a try. I read a few papers on it. I think they were all (or 2 out of three?) written by people who worked at one vein clinic, but I still think it would be worth trying if you have varicose veins.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

IThinkImInTorture

I had the ultrasound today which revealed blood pooling in my great saphenous vein in both legs. I’m scheduling the next step procedure of destroying the veins as ~20% of vein disease patients had RLS symptom relief.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Did you have the procedure? I hope you can get it soon, if not. I want it to work for you!
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

IThinkImInTorture

I had ablation done on both the left and right great saphinus vein and also sclerotherapy.Doc says could take up to a year to tell but that is just lip service.
I am controlling my RLS nicely with 2xAleve, 4xmagnesium glycinate and 10,000ug of biotin nightly.
I can no longer run because of excess weight and bad knees so I never have really bad RLS as long as I take the regiment above.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Wow, it's nice that that regimen works. I hope the surgery fixes it permanently :D :D