Vein Clinic Consult

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
NeverGivingUp

Re: Vein Clinic Consult

Post by NeverGivingUp »

NeverGivingUp wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:50 am
Carolina,

I have an update for all interested. Ultrasound showed that I had deep vein issues. In February this year I completed the procedure where the Dr put stents in to repair the compressed area in my Iliac vein. He said that when he got in and could see the vein it was "flat as a pancake" in one area. He put in 2 stents and then another area collapsed (which occasionally happens) so he put in a 3rd stent in. I am glad I have been able to increase the blood flow out of my legs.
Since the procedure I have been able to reduce my Gabapentin. Yay! I have gone from 1000mg to 500mg. Most days I can stay at 500. Dr. did this procedure because the RLS was starting in my left leg 98% of the time. He said by doing the stents he thought he could bring my left leg down in RLS incident to "match" or be the same as whatever I had in my right leg. In other words, the reason he did the stent was specifically b/c RLS was so bad in the left which can be indicative of the May Thurners (compressed iliac vein). Now the little RLS that I have starts in right leg just as much as the left as is caused by other sources not iliac vein related.
I have noticed increased RLS during this allergy season but don't know for sure if that is the cause. I am also positive that corn and corn products such as High Fructose Corn Syrup cause increase in my RLS. I imagine there are other foods that keep me at 500mg but I am very happy to have reduced the amount I am taking. Gabapentin makes me sooooo sleepy. Good luck to you in your efforts. I wish you the best!!
One more comment. . . . He also said that those who prop their legs up (higher than their heart) before bed and find relief to the RLS should find relief from the procedure too. I would recommend seeing a Vascular Surgeon to discuss and see if blood is pooling in your left leg as mine was. I had no other symptoms of vein issues. Legs not swollen, no protruding veins, etc.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

After years of thinking that I had an oxalate issue, a urine test found that my cloudy urine wasn't from oxalate, and it explained why the diet didn't help my RLS consistently. No one can tell me what the cloudy urine is from.

I started with nerve entrapment, then diet, so next on my list is venous insufficiency. I look down at my legs, there are varicose veins, discolouration on my feet and a red spot that could develop into an ulcer. Category 4 of venous insufficiency.

Doctor doesn't care, so I book into a vein doctor. He only checks the main veins and my left is a bit leaky mid calf and not worth his time to do anything. He doesn't care about the other symptoms.

So I get some of the tightest class of graduated compression socks. Day time wearing is easy, but I can't go to sleep with them, and my symptoms are much worse with them on, but they are different symptoms which is encouraging. Some papers say wearing compression socks helps venous insufficiency at night, others say not to wear them due to there no longer being positive pressure.

It only took a week to be able to get them on and off easily, but it still requires a lot of effort. I know why compliance is an issue. Still not as bad as the first 100 times with contact lenses.

But I persist and after a month and the help of EMS (muscle stimulation on a TENS machine) on my left leg to stop symptoms, I can sleep with them. My feet look much better after only a few nights, and every night when I shower and change socks, they keep looking better still. It is only 5 nights, I think, with them and I don't feel the best physically and psychologically the next day, even with good sleep. It could be catching up with my sleep, the cycles being messed with, or my body not liking them in some way.

My right leg no longer has symptoms, and the left's are getting milder almost daily.

But I've been here before with a good run, and then for no reason no longer sleeping again with a night of both legs having endless trigger points for symptoms. But this time I have a clear mechanism and treatment.

Lissa496

Post by Lissa496 »

This is good news for you all! I am happy to hear that something is working! I now wish I had varicose veins and I could fix this problem since it is my left leg that is my trouble leg, a little jealous but very happy for you all if this works... Lissa