acupressure

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Kansas

acupressure

Post by Kansas »

has anyone tried acupressure or an acupressure mat?

ViewsAskew

Re: acupressure

Post by ViewsAskew »

For me, it doesn't help. But, we seem to be divided into two camps about this. ANY thing touching my skin makes my symptoms worse. The TENS unit makes it worse, I cannot even have a sheet on me. But, many of us find that those things work well, from weighted blankets to massage.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

weighted blanket

Post by badnights »

I was on an ordering spree and just ordered a weighted blanket. Perhaps another few hundred dollars down the drain, but I have to try it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Interesting Beth. I have looked at these weighted blankets and know that the thought of it does not repel me in the way that, for example, the idea of compression stockings would repel me.

I do have a coverlet throw in one of my bedrooms which is of very heavy weight, quadruple layered fabric which is then stitched into a pattern. It is amazing how heavy this is. A couple of times recently when twitchiness has driven me to a separate bedroom I have used this coverlet, actually doubling it over for even more weight. It is so heavy that I only use it over me from the thighs down.
I'm not sure what benefit it is because I have usually been up doing walkabout for some time and going to the separate bedroom and the heavy coverlet to lie down when my legs start to calm.
However, I do know that I'm starting to think of it fondly, liking the weight on me. It is almost a comfort. That can't be a bad thing.

Beth I do hope you find a benefit to this weighted blanket. Reviews appear to be ranging from wonderful... to a waste of money.
I hope yours is wonderful.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

weighted blanket - hmmm. Yes, I think.

Post by badnights »

I've been using the weighted blanket for a while now. I got a 15lb twin size. That's 2 or 3 pounds more than the recommended 10% of my ideal body weight, but the company I was buying from didn't have a smaller one, and I wanted the quality of this company's blankets. I do find it to be a bit too heavy.

I have used it every night. Mostly I just have it over my legs or even just my lower legs, but sometimes I like to pull it right up, though I always lower it again. It keeps me warm, which is a good thing, because I used to freeze in bed.

I think it helps to keep my legs calm if they're borderline. Like all these physical measures (except the pneumatic cuffs), they can't stop a serious flare-up, only a very mild one. Generally, they enhance my sleep because they get rid of that horrible feeling of open air around my feet and lower legs.

I also bought a 10-lb weighted hooded poncho thing (later, at a physical store). It's meant to throw over your shoulders when you're sitting around, but it's basically a square with a hood attached, so it works great as a blanket. I use that one on the couch. If it wasn't for the exorbitant price I paid for the 15 lb one, I would just buy another of these hooded ones and use it in my bed. I might anyway, at that.

Note: I don't recommend anyone get anything larger than a twin, even if you sleep with someone and both of you want the blanket - in that case, get two twins. The way you want to place it will probably not match the way your partner wants to place it at any given moment (only over the lower leg, or pull it up to the chin, or go back and forth, etc).
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Beth - thankyou for your very informative update. Feedback like this is really useful to someone who is just thinking about buying a weighted blanket.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation