Spinal Stimulator

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
debbluebird

Spinal Stimulator

Post by debbluebird »

I am not sure if this goes under this heading.
I had a Spinal Stimulator placed today for a 1 week trial. If the week goes well, then I will get one permanently placed.
My RLS and leg spasms have been bad. I am getting very little sleep. Lots if pacing last night. The night before I was awakened every hour. At least last night I finally got a few hours of sleep. About a week before that the Doctor gave me an injection which helped a little.
I am looking forward to see if this helps.

Rustsmith

Re: Spinal Stimulator

Post by Rustsmith »

Deb, you selected the correct symposium. And I hope that the simulator helps with your leg pain and thereby reduces your RLS back to where it is at a mild level.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hoping this is helpful.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I hope it works. You've been so up and down, makes me think there is some key to your symptoms, just don't know what it is yet.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, the Doctor hit the nerve right on but so far it has not helped. There is a remote control attached to the stimulator and I was told to increase the pulse yesterday and today. Last night was really bad. I hardly slept. Lots of pacing. I figure that the nerve is really irritated by the lead. The hope is that as we turn it up it will start to block the spasms and pain.
So far tonight has been better. The previous two evenings I was having spasms while watching TV. Tonight, none so far. They are having me come back into the office tomorrow. I hope that I will be able to report that tonight was better. I am so tired. I am supposed to have it removed next Monday.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I slept so much better last night. I could tell by how I felt this morning that my legs have been disturbing my sleep even when I was not aware of it. My Daughter told me that when we were on vacation and had to share a bed, she could not sleep with me because my legs were constantly moving and that was before it became so painful.
I am getting the permanent stimulator Feb 10th.
This is life changing.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am scheduled for the stimulator Feb 10th. I have everything lined up that I will need before the surgery.
It is helping. I am having no RLS and spasms are reduced.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I want to say it again, my RLS is gone and spasms are going away too.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thirty years ago I only had RLS, the creepy crawly stuff going down my legs. As it progressed, mild spasms were added while keeping the RLS. In the last ten years the severe spasms were added, while again continuing with the RLS and mild spasms at times.
I just wanted to make it clear regarding my journey.
I still take methadone and when I get the permanent stimulator, I plan on weaning down and hopefully off of it. In the past 30 years I had tried over 25 medications. It has not been an easy path.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

25 medications - so many to have tried. I hope your simulator will be positive and will clear the journey forward.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Last night, no RLS, no mild or severe spasms. Nothing !
I only had some sensations that were in the evening, lasting a few seconds. In the past I have had these before RLS and or the spasms.
I consider this 100% improvement.
Now I am not say I will never have anything again because as I become more active my back will get irritated. I will have the trial stimulator removed Monday so I can heal.

badnights

Post by badnights »

This sounds very promising for you, Deb! Between Monday and Feb 10 might be hard to bear, but maybe not so hard, knowing that a solution is coming.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Such wonderful news, Deb. This surely can be a crazy journey for so many.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have now had three nights of no RLS, mild or severe spasms. I did have some RLS and mild spasms during the day yesterday for a few seconds just like the other days.
One more night before I get it taken out.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The trial spinal stimulator was taken out Monday. I had spasms throughout the night last night, but I was able to sleep 6 hours altogether. I had a sleep study last night.
My sleep apnea has much improved going from 8,000 feet to 5,000. I may even get off of bi pap.
The Pain Doctor just called. She and the surgeon want to do another weeks trial. To further assess the lead placement and give me more relief. Sounds good to me.