Spinal Stimulator

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
debbluebird

Re: Spinal Stimulator

Post by debbluebird »

I'm having new issues since stopping the muscle relaxants. I'm not having as many good nights. Plus I am not sure if the THC gummies are really helping that much.
Oh how I wish there was something else to add to my arsenal. When I have one bad night, where I'm up all night, it is really taking a toll on me, more so than ever before. I know that the spinal stimulator helps, it's just not 100 %. There seems to be a fine line of it working and not working.
I wish there was some new miracle drug.

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

debbluebird wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 pm
I'm having new issues since stopping the muscle relaxants. I'm not having as many good nights. Plus I am not sure if the THC gummies are really helping that much.
Oh how I wish there was something else to add to my arsenal. When I have one bad night, where I'm up all night, it is really taking a toll on me, more so than ever before. I know that the spinal stimulator helps, it's just not 100 %. There seems to be a fine line of it working and not working.
I wish there was some new miracle drug.
I hear you about the miracle drug

I think I'm still a ways out before I resort to a spinal stimulator
... too many cons and logistical problems to justify the procedure at this point
Becoming another child for my wife to take care of through a fourth wave a covid just won't be possible .

I definitely did have a great discussion with the surgeon who would potentially be cutting me open .
He referred me to the top RLS doctor at Sunnybrook in Toronto (arguably the top doctor in Canada who actively treats difficult cases such as ours)

... of course with everything going on in the world , my referral has seemed to fall through the cracks and I'll need to follow up this week.

I did however find some temporary MIRACLE RELIEF through a phenomena known as FRISSON
... the scientific term for the chills you get from listening to familiar emotion provoking MUSIC

I'm not kidding Deb

Find some favorite old music from your youth and press play
(Or find a record player / 8track etc)

My only problem , and likely everyone's problem will be that the amount of media isn't infinite, and the effect wears off after listening to the same thing repeatedly

With that said.... find some music from your youth and listen to it a few hours leading up to bedtime .
I've done it every night for 5 weeks and it has provided the best results for my RLS since my Mirapex starting turning on me perhaps 4-5 years ago

Try it !

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

[/quote]

I hear you about the miracle drug

I think I'm still a ways out before I resort to a spinal stimulator
... too many cons and logistical problems to justify the procedure at this point
Becoming another child for my wife to take care of through a fourth wave a covid just won't be possible .

I definitely did have a great discussion with the surgeon who would potentially be cutting me open .
He referred me to the top RLS doctor at Sunnybrook in Toronto (arguably the top doctor in Canada who actively treats difficult cases such as ours)

... of course with everything going on in the world , my referral has seemed to fall through the cracks and I'll need to follow up this week.

I did however find some temporary MIRACLE RELIEF through a phenomena known as FRISSON
... the scientific term for the chills you get from listening to familiar emotion provoking MUSIC

I'm not kidding Deb

Find some favorite old music from your youth and press play
(Or find a record player / 8track etc)

My only problem , and likely everyone's problem will be that the amount of media isn't infinite, and the effect wears off after listening to the same thing repeatedly

With that said.... find some music from your youth and listen to it a few hours leading up to bedtime .
I've done it every night for 5 weeks and it has provided the best results for my RLS since my Mirapex starting turning on me perhaps 4-5 years ago

Try it !
[/quote]

Thanks. We changed my programing again and my nights are now better. I'm sleeping again.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am now having more good nights than bad nights. I'm having 5 and 6 nights in a row of good sleep. I feel that we finally have it set correctly. Since July 28th, only about 4 nights that weren't so good. The best has been the last two weeks.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It has taken a lot of grit and determination for you to reach this point. You didn't give up. Well done.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

debbluebird wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:30 am
I am now having more good nights than bad nights. I'm having 5 and 6 nights in a row of good sleep. I feel that we finally have it set correctly. Since July 28th, only about 4 nights that weren't so good. The best has been the last two weeks.
How is the quality of sleep? Very refreshing? Or, mediocre?

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm starting to feel good again. My sleep will never be like it was before RLS, but most nights I'm getting 8 hours. So what I'm saying is, I'm getting about 90% to 95% relief. The RLS is not totally gone, but it is so mild, it's easy to tolerate. I used to get severe spasms. They are gone. My RLS was so severe that the RLS became spasms.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:25 pm
I'm starting to feel good again. My sleep will never be like it was before RLS, but most nights I'm getting 8 hours. So what I'm saying is, I'm getting about 90% to 95% relief. The RLS is not totally gone, but it is so mild, it's easy to tolerate. I used to get severe spasms. They are gone. My RLS was so severe that the RLS became spasms.
That is so awesome, Deb.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Last night I didn't have any RLS. Didn't even need the THC gummies.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

So good. It just gets better.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

debbluebird wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:25 pm
That's so good to hear. I hope more research is done into spinal stimulation for WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

This is definitely a positive step in the right direction for treating extremely severe refractory cases of RLS .

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Deb, it's good to hear that you are getting such an impressive degree of relief.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

RLSandra

Post by RLSandra »

I have had a Medtronic Neurostimulator for the pain of failed back surgeries for the past 10 years. When the last one was replaced due to the batteries being depleted, I discussed my Restless Legs with the Tech from the company that made the unit and asked about using it to help control the Restless Legs. I have met with the Tech to try to "arrange" the perameters of the controller to what the wiring that is already in me will allow to see if it can go low enough into my legs to help with the RLS. It can not go that low into my legs. Although he did show me what to do to try adjusting it myself to try to alleviate some of the sensations at the top of my legs, as I am experiencing them. Sometimes i does and sometimes it does not. No reason for either. But I will watch your results and keep talking to the tech I work with along with my Pain Doctor and my Neurologist to see if this could be an option to add more wires to this controller or if I would have to get a second one implanted???? Can I ask what brand you are being tested with? Is it possible to get (off the blog if necessary) your name and your doctor's name and contact information for reference for my doctors?

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

RLSandra wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:23 am
I have had a Medtronic Neurostimulator for the pain of failed back surgeries for the past 10 years. When the last one was replaced due to the batteries being depleted, I discussed my Restless Legs with the Tech from the company that made the unit and asked about using it to help control the Restless Legs. I have met with the Tech to try to "arrange" the perameters of the controller to what the wiring that is already in me will allow to see if it can go low enough into my legs to help with the RLS. It can not go that low into my legs. Although he did show me what to do to try adjusting it myself to try to alleviate some of the sensations at the top of my legs, as I am experiencing them. Sometimes i does and sometimes it does not. No reason for either. But I will watch your results and keep talking to the tech I work with along with my Pain Doctor and my Neurologist to see if this could be an option to add more wires to this controller or if I would have to get a second one implanted???? Can I ask what brand you are being tested with? Is it possible to get (off the blog if necessary) your name and your doctor's name and contact information for reference for my doctors?
I have the Nevro HF10. My leads go up my back near my spine. They target nerves that go to my legs. They do not literally into the legs. I have a low back fusion and Osteoarthritis. I have several bulging discs. I'm in New Mexico, but I know they are all over.