Spinal Stimulator

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
RLSandra

Re: Spinal Stimulator

Post by RLSandra »

Thank you for your helpful information! I am going to talk to my Pain Management Doctor who put in the last stimulator and see if he is willing to research RLS and stimulator. He needs to do research about where the placement of the leads would have be and anything else connected with RLS and the stimultors . We have different brands of stimulators and I wonder if the brand makes a diffference on the outcome? I will post as I find out more. I hope you are continuing to get relief and rest.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

RLSandra wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm
Thank you for your helpful information! I am going to talk to my Pain Management Doctor who put in the last stimulator and see if he is willing to research RLS and stimulator. He needs to do research about where the placement of the leads would have be and anything else connected with RLS and the stimultors . We have different brands of stimulators and I wonder if the brand makes a diffference on the outcome? I will post as I find out more. I hope you are continuing to get relief and rest.
My leads go midway up my back near the spine. Those nerves target my legs. Also, I have had trouble with being over stimulated. It's all about trial and error. We have had to decrease the stimulation. The other issue is, some nights the RLS is gone and I sleep 8 plus hours and other nights, the RLS is active. Sometimes the RLS is very mild and other times goes all night, when I'm getting too much stimulation. I've had more nights of sleep, than being up.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've had 11 nights of 8 plus hours of sleep. Hope it continues. I still take some meds but it's ok. We also know that having RLS is like a roller coaster, every night is different.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Having rls does vary so much from night to night, but to have 11 nights of 8+ hours sleep.... wow !!
Who'd have believed it. I am so happy for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:08 am
Having rls does vary so much from night to night, but to have 11 nights of 8+ hours sleep.... wow !!
Who'd have believed it. I am so happy for you.
Exactly!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It's been over a month and I'm still sleeping. I get occasional very mild RLS, but I change positions and go back to sleep. For back support I start in my recliner, then move to the couch if I get RLS or my bed. I've settled on one program for the stimulator and minimal meds. One muscle relaxant, one Tramadol and 3 THC gummies.
I haven't slept this well since the 1990's when all of this started.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

How wonderful. I'm so happy for you.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This really is so incredibly awesome, Deb.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

debbluebird wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:39 pm
It's been over a month and I'm still sleeping. I get occasional very mild RLS, but I change positions and go back to sleep. For back support I start in my recliner, then move to the couch if I get RLS or my bed. I've settled on one program for the stimulator and minimal meds. One muscle relaxant, one Tramadol and 3 THC gummies.
I haven't slept this well since the 1990's when all of this started.
WOW!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I just read my post from Oct. 30, 2021. In addition to the meds I listed, I also take gabapentin 1800 mg.
It's been mostly good. I have an occasional bad night here and there, but I have been averaging 8 hours for a few months now. I had trouble after my shoulder surgery, but I always have trouble (bad nights) after surgeries.
I never thought that after 30 plus years since getting RLS that I would have such good nights. In this post today I just wants to say that because RLS is so unpredictable my RLS still goes up and down and I have occasional bad nights. Now, I am celebrating !!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Celebrate well.
Betty

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

I'm a bit late to this thread. I target nerves to stop symptoms with great success and have thought for awhile that some sort of nerve stimulator would be very successful. When you have symptoms and move your leg, the reason why the symptoms stop is actually nerve stimulation from the leg to the brain that it is doing something. Compression works in a similar way.

I'm so happy to see that this has been tried and is working for you.

Excellent!!!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, it has helped a lot. Thanks

stockton2malone2

Post by stockton2malone2 »

XenMan wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:22 am
I target nerves to stop symptoms
How do you do this? With a TENS unit or massage or something?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

FYI - Dr Buchfuhrer is testing a device (not a TENS, but a similar type thing) that targets a nerve near your knee. There is a study out from last year, I think, and the current study is testing it for reducing opioid use.

Managing Your RLS