Vibrating Platform

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ratfancy

Vibrating Platform

Post by ratfancy »

Have any of you out there tried a device like this? Vibration Plate Exercise Machine - Whole Body Workout Vibration Fitness Platform

stjohnh

Re: Vibrating Platform

Post by stjohnh »

I haven't, but it reminds me of the Relaxis pad, a vibrating pad that actually got FDA approval for treatment of RLS. Unfortunately it also was expensive, and Medcare and insurance companies would not cover it. Several of our forum members purchased one, and, as I recall, it provided a little relief, but not enough to continue using it. I personally have bought the Omron leg massaging system ($65 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8 ... UTF8&psc=1). Vibration was obvious but I didn't find it gave me any relief.
Blessings,
Holland

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Next door to my business some years ago was a fraudulent exercise company (Trim and Fit) that was supposed to take inches off your body. You stood on a vibrating pad and attached straps around your hips etc. The only one who actually got any exercise benefit from that company was our receptionist who ran out to tell their customers they couldn't park in our car parks.
I don't imagine it would work any better for restless legs.

badnights

Post by badnights »

There have been a few conversations here about vibration plates, and the positive effect they have on WED/RLS. They seem to work by forcing your muscles to make continual micro-movements to stabilize you as you stand on a vibrating plate. People were using them when WED/RLS awoke them at night, and/or at times during the day. The plates were developed for gyms, for warming up and for doing exercises on - - pushups with your hands on the plate, squats standing on the plate. They add a level of challenge, I guess. One member here named srgraves01 has used a "power plate" for years, mostly for massage, and rests different parts of his body on it (butt, calves, etc).

You can search this board for vibration plate, vibration platform, and power plate. There's a Topic called Power Plate in the Physical forum. Also a Topic called Vibro Trainer (but that's for commercial gyms. And it's made in Australia, great if you live in that neck of the woods but not so great if you're in North America.)

Here are links to some Youtube videos that are trying to sell you something, but also give you useful info and better, a visual. One is tall and has handles you can hold; the second one is a simple plate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTwY1SXAdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9MkN9F9C3Y
There's also this irritating website https://powerplate.com/ - maybe it just doesn't work well in Chrome.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

To continue, there's also this one-pager from the Mayo Clinic
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20057958

the gist of it
"Some research does show that whole-body vibration may help improve muscle strength and that it may help with weight loss when you also cut back on calories.

Whole-body vibration may also have a role beyond sports and fitness. Some research shows that whole-body vibration, when performed correctly and under medical supervision when needed, can:

Reduce back pain
Improve strength and balance in older adults
Reduce bone loss"
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm not totally impulsive, but a little - - I remember when I looked at these vibration plates before, I wanted to try one but they seemed a little expensive. Well, I just bought one. So - thank you reminding me of it. I will let you all know if it helps at all. Assuming it gets here, that is.

I chose Vibration Therapeutic's High Frequency Linear Vibration Plate Model VT003 because it's built to last, and I figure I will use this thing a lot if it helps even a bit.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It works. Kind of like my pneumatic leg cuffs; use can substitute for a 1mg hydromorphone pill. It's not a huge win. It might also give me better quality sleep but I can't be sure what's causing that. I am about to start 2 weeks without the vibration plate, but I will also be travelling, so I won't be able to tell if it is because I have no plate or because I am stressed if I no longer sleep as well. But I am certain of the mild positive benefit in terms of not needing to take that 1 mg pill if I spend 10 or 20 minutes on the plate.

I use a pre-programmed 10-minute session that alternates between high and low amplitude and varies smoothly across a range of frequencies. The low-amplitude sessions don't seem to work at all.