Chiropractor

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ericksonja

Chiropractor

Post by ericksonja »

I have never gone to a chiropractor in my life, but am going to see one next week for restless legs. Does anyone have any advice/tips for me? Thank you!

Polar Bear

Re: Chiropractor

Post by Polar Bear »

I also have never been to a chiropractor. It's not something I think of as being a treatment for rls although a quick search does show that many chiropractor's say that they can help treat the condition ..... this is general theme and an extract from on article I read...
""a commonly overlooked cause of the problem may be due to a spinal or nerve condition. Therefore, seeking a chiropractor’s help is pertinent. Chiropractors aim to improve overall nervous system function and fix spinal and bodily misalignments in order to create a better functioning body. If your skeletal system is placing unnecessary pressure on your legs or joints, rls may be a result.""

Most of us have tried all sorts of remedies including the 'soap in the bed'. I'd say that anything is worth a try and would really appreciate if you would update following your appointment next week.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

A lot of people seem to be able to relate their WED/RLS symptoms to a spinal-nerve impingement or other spinal issue. So there might be something to it for a subset of us.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ericksonja

Post by ericksonja »

I had my first chiropractor visit today and have some hope he can help me. While I am generally quite flexible and do dynamic stretching, he noticed my right hip is stiff and I compensate by over using my quads. My restless legs always present in my quads, so this is encouraging. He did an adjustment and he will help me find exercises I can do to loosen my hip and show me how to notice for myself when I am over using my quads. He will also work with me on a nutritional analysis to see if I am lacking (or not absorbing) certain vitamins or minerals. I am fortunate that my insurance covers chiropractic visits.

Maybe this can help someone else.

Lissa496

Post by Lissa496 »

Hi ericksonja, by any chance did the chiropractor help in the end, did it help your RLS? Thanks Lissa