Multi-vitamins

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Steve

Multi-vitamins

Post by Steve »

I have had RLS all of my life, but over the past week it has gotten worse than ever. There are 2 main reasons that I can attribute to the change. I recently stopped my excercise routine as I am in the process of moving and have stopped going to my gym. Once I have moved into my new place I will be able to pick up my excercise program once again. The other reason could be that I have recently started taking Centrum Performance vitamins. Could there be something in there that is making my RLS worse? I know that it is supposed to give you more enery, but I haven't felt engergized during the day. I just get the restless legs at night and it seems to be getting progressively worse and lasting through the day. Please let me know if anybody else has had any experience with multi-vitamins and RLS. Thanks!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No experience with specific multi-vitamins, but exercise is a known contributor. I have to maintain a certain level or my RLS gets worse. If I go beyond that level, however, it also gets worse. Fine line for me.

Ann

Post by Guest »

steve,

it seems thro spending some time in the forum posts that evryone seems to be so diferent with their rls and how they manage it. some meds or treatment are great for one and make it worse for others.

i guess ive learnt that the only thing you can do is go with the flow.... if one thing seems to make it worse then stop it and if another makes it better go for it, untill it stops working.

experimentation is the key i think with this condition...

crazy condition!!!??!! :shock:

trev

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Steve--

Sorry you're having more trouble with your RLS lately. I think Trev's right.... it's hard to track things down since we're all affected by slightly different things.

I did want to mention/ask one thing, though, based on my RLS experiences.

I had had RLS for years (decades almost) when I first heard what it was, and then I went along for another couple years after that with a steadily increasing "awareness" of my RLS symptoms (which I'd say was probably because I was having them more frequently and more intensely... but sometimes it's hard to quantify, looking back.)

It was at a time when my RLS suddenly went from nightly to 24/7 that I found this site. Since RLS is a notoriously "progressive" disease, I was worried about this escalation in my symptoms (and wondering if this particular "progress" of symptoms would be permanent.)

That 24/7 RLS last a couple of weeks, and I never could "connect" it to any particular "cause" or "source". In the year or two since then, I've not had 24/7 RLS all the time, thankfully (see thread, in General Topics, I think? about "RLS sometimes or..."... interesting discussion there about RLS that isn't only at night.) But I now do have periods of all-day symptoms, as well as MANY days with morning symptoms, like this morning.

I'm almost 40, and looking at the "pattern" (or lack thereof) over the last 5 years or so, I'm sure that there ARE specific "triggers" or "contributors" to individual "worse" days/nights. But I also see that overall my symptoms are just gradually progressing with age/time. And sometimes that "progress" seems to happen in spurts that don't necessarily SEEM to have any specific "reason". Perhaps this is just a "spurt" of RLS progression, and not directly tied to any specific cause.

That said, I agree with ViewsAskew that the "right" amount of exercise for RLS is a tricky balance... too much makes me too tired and fatigue makes my RLS worse, but none at all is also not good. HOPEFULLY, you'll find that when your regular workouts resume you will feel better again.

As for the vitamins, I am a believer in "sensitive body chemistry". I have a couple of other chronic conditions which are all caused/exacerbated by even minor changes in my brain/body chemistry. I think that everyone's body is more affected by what we consume/don't consume than many of us ever think about. A "small" thing/change for someone sensitive might make a big difference in how they feel (and/or perhaps some people notice those changes more because they're more "in-tune" with how their bodies "normally" feel/react.)

I can't think of anything anyone's mentioned here on the forums that would likely be in Centrum that would likely cause an exacerbation of your symptoms... but as Trev said, if you think it's that, try discontinuing the vitamin for a while, and see what happens. If you're not sure about the cause/effect, then when life gets more back to normal, resume them and see if your RLS exacerbates again at that time.

I think that we all get sick of the trail and error... but what else can we do? :roll:

You hang in there, and good luck in your new place. :D BTW, the friend that first mentioned RLS to me and I have both noticed that moving out/in somewhere is ALWAYS a bad time for our RLS. She was a Navy wife and moved a lot. I have not moved often, but moved twice lately, and both times my feet and legs had much more discomfort, aches and heaviness.

Sara :D

Steve

Post by Steve »

Thank you all for your ideas. I have decided to stop taking the multi-vitamins for now, as the RLS was much less severe before I started taking them. I guess experimentation really is the way to determine what causes the RLS to get worse. I do expect to get back into my usual exercise routine shortly, so that should help as well. Sara, you mentioned that moving into a new place can also be a factor. I have considered this as well, and hopefully once I am settled in my new place my RLS will calm down. I think I made too many lifestyle changes within a short period of time and my body is trying to deal with it. I will let you know if the RLS calms down now. Thanks again!

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hello, again, Steve--

Fatigue is a BIG factor that exacerbates my RLS, as I mentioned. Others here have theirs exacerbated by stress. I also have worse RLS when I overexert, climb a lot of stairs, do a lot of heavy lifting during the day.

All this and more is involved when we move, so I guess it's no wonder it tends to be a tough time for RLS symptoms?!

Good luck!

trevb

Post by trevb »

Sara wrote:I had had RLS for years (decades almost) when I first heard what it was, and then I went along for another couple years after that with a steadily increasing "awareness" of my RLS symptoms (which I'd say was probably because I was having them more frequently and more intensely... but sometimes it's hard to quantify, looking back.)

sara, hmm interesting......... i found out i had rls and wasnt alone just 1 week ago. since then its been in the forefront of my mind (obviously-searching on the web, looking at forums, getting info etc) and it seems to have got alot worse!? I feel it most of the days as well as the night. my muscles are getting quite tight and tired from all the wiggling im doing.

my question is .... i used to think this was all psychological, but even now i know its not psychological.... is there anything in this thing where... if you arent thinking about it it just doesnt occur as often?
i know that i have weeks of no problem at all and wonder is that because it doesnt enter my mine then???
i dont know.......... im just thinking, cos if this was the case i feel like i would need to stop the forum and try to forget about it again.

its just a bit of a coincidence that since 1 week ago when ive been focussed on it alot it has been bothering me alot more!! or maybe like you say its just because Im more aware of it now rather than just dealing with the symptoms unconsciously? i know i often find myself wriggling my leg during the day and i hadnt realised it?

im not expecting you to answer this by the way maybe im just thinking out loud.... be good to hear others experiences though i suppose?
yours thoughtfully
trev

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Trev--

I'm afraid with all the new people on the forum (and the fact that I've been in and out on vacation) I don't recall the severity of your symptoms.

I have not gone to a doctor for my RLS, so I can't say how one would describe my case, but based on frequency, comparisons to the stories of others, etc., I would say I have a mild-moderate case, but definitely persistent as well. As I mentioned (I think in this thread, maybe in the "RLS sometimes, or..." thread), I have SOME symptoms almost every day. But some of those days, thankfully, it's not "troublesome" symptoms. I'm just aware of the sensations when I'm at rest.

There's been some discussion in the past here about "distraction" as a coping strategy for RLS. Certainly for the most-adversely-affected among us, distraction can only have a limited effect. When my RLS is at its worst, I'd challenge anyone to distract me with much short of a natural disaster! :P :lol:

HOWEVER, that said, I've discussed with others here times when I did have pretty noticeable RLS symptoms, but "forgot" about them, at least for a time, during some activity that kept my mind particularly busy/distracted. My opinion is that while I do not believe that thinking about RLS or worrying that it's coming will "make it happen", DWELLING on the symptoms certainly does nothing to LESSEN their effect on my life.

I know a couple members here who have been told by family, friends, doctors, to "Just not think so much about it". And that comment proves that those people have no idea what RLS feels like at its worst... or even at some of the less-extreme stages as well! I think that a certain level of RLS is VERY hard to ignore.

But I believe that certainly there COULD be a POTENTIAL, at any rate, especially since many here note "stress" or "anxiety" as a trigger, that approaching each evening with fear (and who can BLAME any of us?! :( ) COULD tend to increase the CHANCE of a "self-fulfilling prophecy".

I have a chronic anxiety disorder as well as RLS, and sometimes I think that the lessons I've learned in not tensing up and physically "fighting" my anxiety symptoms may also help me stay calmer during an RLS attack and at least not escalate whatever's going on in my body at that time. I don't know.

I have to say that I am better able to cope with my RLS, now that I know what it is, even though I have MORE of it, than I did for the last year or so before I heard about RLS... when my symptoms were no longer "ignorable" and were increasingly frequent, but I didn't know what was causing them. By being able to name and (to some extent) understand what's happening each night (and many mornings, and some daytimes, too), I'm able to accept the symptoms in a more matter-of-fact way, with less anxiety about them, and -- from being here-- more ideas about ways to try and cope.

What I was really thinking about, however, in my post before when I mentioned "increased awareness" of my RLS was a little different than this whole train of thought, though... and I think different than what you were musing about. I wonder if, when you look back, you'll notice anything similar.

I think that, if you don't have something that seems "dangerous" (like it could KILL you or something-- main organ problems and such), many chronic conditions go undiagnosed because we just "live in the body we were born in." Two days ago, my husband admitted finally that he may well have RLS and PLMD, too.... but for the past several years I've known about RLS, he's said to me over and over, "Everyone's feet get crawly and jerky when they're tired." He fully approved my early bedtimes when my feet were especially crawly or jerky or uncomfortable, but he ASSUMED that that was "normal", because that's what HIS feet do.

The first times I really noticed my RLS as "memorably" uncomfortable were times I had the flu... so I knew I was exhausted anyway, and I just ASSUMED that whatever that horrible feeling was that made me nearly push out the floor of my hubby's VW bug one night when we were teenagers :lol: had something to do with the other symptoms (muscle aches and skin burning and such) of the flu.

Later on, when I began to realize that this was happening more and more often, more intensely and always at night, I began to remember I'd "had this before" and began to put two-and-two together that it was an "on-going" thing... but again, it was easy enough to just accept the sensations as "normal to me" and not think too much about them.

Of course, as they've gotten worse and worse, they've cuaght my attention more, and even if I'd not happened to hear about RLS by accident, I might have eventually realized that it was something "specific", not just a personal idiosyncracy (which was my earlier explanation, as opposed to my hubby's assumption that everyone has this. Interesting how different people have different perspective! :D )

Anyway, the point I'm taking SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to make :lol: is just this....

I have to wonder if I had RLS much more frequently, obviously at a lower level over many of the years, than I REMEMBER, because all along I was thinking of it as just "how I feel at night". We accept so much of how we feel as "normal to us", that sometimes it's hard to trace back and remember past symptoms, because at THAT time we didn't RECOGNIZE or LABEL them as "symptoms".... just how we felt.... as long as they weren't horrible or life-changing.

The gals here whose mothers had to massage their legs at night or have hot water bottles after a busy day of play as kids, they have something concrete to remember that was obviously "not normal" , not something other kids experienced. God bless them all, how horrible that must have been!!!! :(

But my folks can't recall, and I can't recreate in my mind, how I felt at nighttime as a kid. I did not get to sleep easily... and that's when I started the ritual of reading myself to sleep, whch I continue to this day, and which IS a help to ME in getting through my RLS symptoms at bedtime. But WHY didn't I get to sleep easily if I just laid there in the dark? Because of my anxiety disorder making my mind race with worry? Because my feet were uncomfortable and if I didn't distract myself from them, I couldn't ever relax??? I'm almost 40 now, and although my family jokes that I remember things that happened "before I was born"... I have no SPECIFIC memories of childhood bedtimes that would indicate for sure if I did or didn't have RLS at that time.

And now that I have a son with RLS, who I didn't REALIZE had it until about a year ago, I can see how, as long as the symptoms aren't specifically painful, the kid's not actively thrashing around... even KNOWING about RLS, it's not necessarily one's first assumption to explain comments about trouble falling asleep, messed up sheets in the morning, etc.

Sorry to run on and on, Trev. What I wanted to say is that I think there may be a balance between awareness of RLS and anxiety/obsessiveness about it. I think early in my realization that I had "something specific", I was pretty fixated on it. At the time I came on here, I was having it 24/7, and I was sort of hypervigilant about every twinge that MIGHT be RLS.... "Oh, dang, it's still there...." You may be thinking a lot about yours right now too. Who could blame you!

But I think that's a STAGE in dealing with chronic illness. Just like I went through a grief stage, when I realized that this wasn't going away, and likely would get worse and worse over time. But right now, I'm NOT grieving. I've pretty much accepted the fact of RLS in my life and my future, and now I'm just trying to live well in spite of it. And help our son with his, and support my brother-in-law who also has it but doesn't have much sympathy or support.

I wonder what others will think of this discussion, Trev? Personally, I think it was a good question to ask... and worthy of some thought and reflection. Not sure I've welcomed you before, though I've read a number of your posts. If I haven't, welcome! :D

Hang in there, and take good care.

Post by Guest »

hi sara,
wow youve really thought about this havent you!!

thanx for your warm welcome! and thanx for your thoughts too!

i definatly have mild/mod rls, does annoy me but doesnt stop me from sleeping as much as others here... sometimes i dont have it (or dont notice it) for a few weeks though, other times i have it all day and into the night (then its really annoying) and spend the day wriggling my legs frantically!! other times im aware of it but its copable!

hmmm its difficult to explain what i mean... i think you've kind of got it ? i agree rls is definatly not something you can ignore when you have it.... no way!!! BUT-my musing was not really about this, but about- when its in your mind alot more it seems to be more likely that you feel the feelings alot more.

For example.... as i have only recently found out it is a condition that others suffer from i have spent alot of time thinking and researching it. therefore its been in the front of my mind alot more than before i knew it wasnt just me. because i have it in the front of my mind it seems like (and i may be wrong!!) i feel it alot more now because i have had it worse since finding out others have it. it may just be a coincidence?

SARA-"I have to wonder if I had RLS much more frequently, obviously at a lower level over many of the years, than I REMEMBER, because all along I was thinking of it as just "how I feel at night". We accept so much of how we feel as "normal to us", that sometimes it's hard to trace back and remember past symptoms, because at THAT time we didn't RECOGNIZE or LABEL them as "symptoms".... just how we felt.... as long as they weren't horrible or life-changing."

trev- definatly a good point and youre probably right,.. maybe ive just had it the same but not CLOCKED it like i do now i have a 'hook to hang it on' (if you see what i mean!)

sara " it was easy enough to just accept the sensations as "normal to me" and not think too much about them."

yes definatly can relate to what youve said ! maybe this is it with me. maybe i just need to go thro a period of heightened awareness untill it settles into me again. maybe this is part of my "grief" cycle now i have found out i actually have a condition?? now its not 'normal' i have to learn to adjust again?

hmmm lots to think about there... so thnx sara really helpful and VERY insightful thoughts!!!!!

will keep thinking. thanx for talking appreciate it!!
trev

Post by Guest »

i tell you what... its very therapuetic being able to "talk" about this, with out fear of people not understanding what on earth Im going on about!! :lol: !!!!

trev

trevb

Post by trevb »

oops those posts were me again!!
trev

Sara

Post by Sara »

Trev--

I think we're on the same page on this... and I believe it's natural that for a time now, while you're wrestling with recent "diagnosis", that it WOULD be in the forefront of your mind.

There may be a combination of just "noticing" more actively and the "self-fulfilling prophecy" I theorized about, right now... but I think that now's a time to be kind to yourself about it. You can assure yourself that it's not "all in your head", because you felt it before you knew it was a specific condition. And if your thinking a lot about it now for a while exacerbates your experience of it (for whichever reason, if you know what I mean), I say, "so be it".

There's plenty of time to work actively at getting it back into it's "rightful" place in your life/consciousness, if it's occupying a little more space there than is healthiest right now. You're still in full-blown "discovery" mode... settling into "life with RLS" mode will come, I'm sure, in good time. :D

Take good care.

trevb

Post by trevb »

are you a psychologist???lol

couldnt have said it better myself... thnx for your insight!

trev