Exercise and RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
TimG

Exercise and RLS

Post by TimG »

My RLS is intermittent. Over the last decade I've experimented with different physical treatments for RLS. Exercise is one of them. If I exercise moderately or intensely too close to bedtime I frequently get RLS. If I exercise lightly, say stretching, close to bedtime I usually don't get RLS. Consistent exercise--light, moderate, intense--during the day usually helps with RLS symptoms. The highest dose of pramipexole I've ever needed to quiet RLS is 0.125 mg. Of course, I'm taking daily iron supplements to keep my ferritin level near 100.

What is your experience with exercise and RLS?

Rustsmith

Re: Exercise and RLS

Post by Rustsmith »

I used to be a competitive runner. Although I ran 30 full marathons over the years, my specialty was 800m. So I was obviously running a lot with training for either distance and endurance or speed. I would also do weight training to build some muscle mass, but not too much.

During this time, my RLS went from a moderate annoyance to very severe. And then I stopped running a few years ago because it wasn't a challenge anymore. During all of this, I never felt that my training and competition had any impact on my RLS. BUT, I started out training very slowly. I went from not being able to run to my first 10K race two years later. I never pushed my training by trying to do too much, too quickly because that is how people get training injuries.

So my theory is that the only time that exercise creates a problem with RLS is when someone tries to do more than they are capable of handling. If you take it easy, it isn't an RLS problem. However, if you don't SLOWLY increase the intensity of your workouts, then it can become a trigger and you dramatically increase the risk of injury. If your muscles get sore, you did too much and need to back off. Remember, I took 2 full years before I ran my first 6.2 mile race.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ann and I have both noticed that it doesn't seem to be the intensity of exercise that's the problem, but sudden changes in the intensity.

I work out intensely regularly without problem - but it I stop for 4 days, I start having worse symptoms. Also, if one day I do a brutally hard workout, I have bad symptoms that night.

Seems best to work into (or out of) a regimen slowly.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I was never a natural but ran 15 miles a week for over 30 years. When I retired I did elliptical and weight training. Now since COVID I have turned into a couch potato. It has gotten worse over the long term but I never thought working out changed the RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Stainless, might be worth getting back into it - gradually, though
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I could never be a couch potato because I can't sit! Might be one advantage of RLS. Just kidding of course.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I have recently found something that does work for me. I have been getting up in the middle of the night and walking around for decades but recently started doing squats every few steps as I make my way around the house. Once back in bed I seem to drift off relatively quickly. My main restlessness, pain and creepy crawlies in my thighs.

And Badnights I am working on getting back into exercise, just not running. Thx

badnights

Post by badnights »

Stainless wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:10 pm
I have recently found something that does work for me. I have been getting up in the middle of the night and walking around for decades but recently started doing squats every few steps as I make my way around the house. Once back in bed I seem to drift off relatively quickly. My main restlessness, pain and creepy crawlies in my thighs.
I do squats too. My creepies are in my ankles and knees mostly, and lower legs. Squats are mcuh more effective than just walking, but sometimes I'm so tired it's hard to make myself do them. Lately, I've been seeing physio for foot and ankle pain so I do those exercises in the middle of the night. Heel raises on a step work just as well as squats, it seems.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I stretch my calves up and down on a step and do downward dogs, all in the middle of the night as well as walking.