Acupuncture

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
pamelap

Acupuncture

Post by pamelap »

Hi! I just wanted to mention that acupunture has been very helpful in controlling my symptoms. I've been doing pretty well with just going once a month. Combined with warm baths before bed and a very small dose of Ropinirole (0.125 mg), I have had many nights lately with virtually no symptoms. Before I began the acupuncture sessions, the medication and baths alone were not controlling the symptoms. I only wish that this was covered by insurance!

badnights

Re: Acupuncture

Post by badnights »

Thanks for that info. Where does your acupuncturist put the needles? Does he/she use the same places every time?

Also keep an eye on that ropinirole, even tho the dose is low, it is still capable of causing augmentation, especially if your fasting serum ferritin is chronically low.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

pamelap

Post by pamelap »

Yes, thank you! I agree about the ropinirole. In fact, I started having augmentation symptoms practically as soon as I started taking it (about a year ago) and have steadfastly refused to up the dosage. Since I started acupuncture, though, my augmentation symptoms have gone away. I just started taking iron supplements, as well, to increase my ferritin levels, which are low. I hope that that helps even further. I also take nightly baths. Between everything, my symptoms are almost gone. I'm not sure about the needle location. I'll try to find out more and report back.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have heard that the addition of magnesium to baths can be beneficial.
Please do keep an eye on your ropinerole and any augmentation.
I wonder how you would be if you tapered off your ropinerole - although it would be an uncomfortable challenge to face given that at present your symptoms are almost gone.
Well done.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

pamelap

Post by pamelap »

Thanks, Betty! It's something to consider, I think. Perhaps with some additional accupuncture sessions. I only wish that Medicare would pay for those! Thanks for the magnesium tip, as well!