Using tDCS Alternating Current to Stop Symptoms

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
XenMan

Using tDCS Alternating Current to Stop Symptoms

Post by XenMan »

I have used lots of different physical treatments over the years, with the success based on where the trigger points and symptoms are.

Compressing the nerves has worked to a degree but is difficult and takes a fair amount of time and effort; being disruptive when trying in the middle of the night when sleepy.

It occurred to me that anything that can disrupt the function of the nerves between the brain and the site of the symptoms should work. I've thought about tDCS machines that are used to send a current through the brain to excite and activate neurons, may do something to RLS symptoms if you have a physical element that creates trigger points.

The unit that I have does direct (DC) and alternating (AC) current, with the AC being very effective in under 5 minutes to stop symptoms.

It has only been 2 weeks, with some experimentation, and currently the electrodes under the heel and the other mostly at the back of the top of the calf is at 100% success.

The bad part is that it is a bit disruptive to set up, and there is no residual effect, so it can't be done at bedtime to prevent symptoms. So on a really bad night where symptoms move from one part or to the other leg, it requires multiple treatments through the night.

I have some areas higher on the calf that at times are just untreatable and go on for hours, return shortly, keep me awake or disrupt sleep until one of the numerous things I try eventually works, however with the tDCS those areas are done in under 5 minutes.

I will keep this thread updated with how things progress.

XenMan

Re: Using tDCS Alternating Current to Stop Symptoms

Post by XenMan »

I changed the frequency to the highest setting of 80hz from 10hz and was able to create some symptoms during some sessions.

This is a good sign, as TENS is similar, indicating that it is interacting and stopping symptoms at the nerve level in a sort of 'sweet spot'. As also with TENS, it raises a lot of questions about the mechanism of RLS.

Unfortunately, my tDCS unit is designed for the head and not the legs so it was unhappy with the connection and limited the amount of current I could push through, reducing from 4 mA to 2.6 mA.

I still couldn't do a session before sleep and prevent symptoms, but using physical techniques to stop symptoms I could move them around and then take them all out with a 5 minute tDCS session with those areas not bothering me for the rest of the night. New areas still occur and are easily dealt with, even though I try other methods due to not wanting to get out of bed and set up the electrodes.

As with the discussion on another post, magnetic stimulation on the head does help with RLS symptoms and my prior searches used the wrong terms and I thought and stated that any treatment on the head wouldn't work. Fortunately I was wrong and this shows promise despite the high cost of magnetic devices.

tDCS on the same areas doesn't work on the head, which may be due to the low frequency used in magnetic stimulation that the tDCS devices in AC mode don't have or can't replicate. If I have the motivation I may try, but as the papers at this stage don't support any success, I want to research more to see if there is something that I'm missing to improve success.

Continuing experimentation is on hold as I have caught Covid for the first time and as many have found, it is improving my RLS symptoms so I just need to treat them once and the rest of the night is sleep, with the usual viral infection symptoms disrupting it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry about the COVID!

Looking forward to more updates about this.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:20 am
So sorry about the COVID!

Looking forward to more updates about this.
My first time for Covid, and recovering slowly.

I'm now placing one pad under the top of my leg by sitting on it, and the other under the front of the foot. I have the pads nice and wet, and can pump out 3 mA consistently at 80 hz. I only need 2 minutes, but aim for 5.

It is still 100% successful, but I did have one spot that returned about 30 minutes later and required another treatment. When I'm woken in the middle of the night by symptoms, I'm still reluctant to use it and try other things so I can still lie in bed. This is often a mistake and as I end up using the tDCS eventually.

I had a bad night last night with one area following another, but I was encouraged as I have some spots that previously were close to impossible to stop. The night before I had one of my worse symptom that I describe as a 'bullet hole' and previously that can last for days, but it was just for one night and sorted easily.

So my assessment so far is that using a tDCS is for those with specific trigger points that they can find, have found that physical treatments work, treatment is disruptive, it is very effective, but not a solution to RLS overall as it doesn't stop symptoms from new areas developing.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

I tried doing some AC on my head to target the motor and sensory part of my brain at 1 hz based on a paper using magnetic treatment. The short answer is that I won’t be doing that again.

I also experimented with lying in bed, not moving during symptoms and treating then. I thought it was triggering symptoms as I mentioned before, but that is not the case. Sometimes it helps, but mostly the symptoms continue after I stop.

It appears that the disruption that wakes me up a bit and stop symptoms is part of the process necessary as well as running the current through my legs. The best result seems to let the symptoms run for around 10 minutes while trying other techniques, and then sit up in bed, attach the electrodes and run the program for 5 minutes.

There is a long description of how the brain creates the symptoms and what is required to disrupt the process in the area for the rest of the night and sometimes longer for that area until it becomes a trigger point again. The short version is it seeks it out and if the conditions have changed it moves on to another, or waits for the next to develop.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Unfortunately, I’m having to use similar techniques because the medications don’t work for me anymore. After putting in the effort, it is more effective than I expected.

I primarily get RLS in either my left or right scapula. The tens unit can eliminate these symptoms 100% consistently, and I think it is because it such a specific place. Once i eliminate the symptoms, they are gone for the night. It usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

However, similar to you, the RLS will move once I eliminate the symptoms. It almost always goes from my scapula to one of my legs. This is where my problem is… I can’t get it to resolve in my legs consistently, it’s about 50-50. But, if I can get it to resolve in my legs, it will go away for the rest of the night. Can you tell me where you put it on for your legs? My quad seem to be where I feel the RLS the most but I’m not sure if that’s the best place to put the electrode.

To prevent too much getting upduring sleep, I hook everything up to myself at the beginning of the night (6 locations, 12 pads). I keep on the upper body ones connected to the tens all night and attach the lower body ones as needed. I just bought another unit so I can attach all electrodes at once and this should further reduce time spent awake. I don’t move too much when I sleep so the wires aren’t an issue tbh. I also have a pair of Bluetooth electrodes but they ended up being too bulky sleep with.

I think machines with and large range of strength and a fine dial are more beneficial. The ability to set the time beyond 60 minutes is also really beneficial. I’m using two cheap Amazon units right now - the etekcity and tens 7000. What machine are you using?

Overall, i can get a consistent 4 hours of sleep. I’ve gotten as much 5.5. I do believe I can get 6 consistently with the right execution and/or by supplementing slightly with low dose meds. The quality of my sleep is good, it’s as good as 6 hours medicated.

The problems I am running into:
1) Waking up with new symptoms. I may fall asleep but I’ll wake up with symptoms and it can be difficult to quell the legs. Nights I can control my legs are sustainable.
2) symptoms moving.
3) Hassle of maintaining pad shelf life and attaching/detaching pads.