Handheld Percussion Massage Gun

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Stainless

Handheld Percussion Massage Gun

Post by Stainless »

For the last few years I've been watching the National Football League using Handheld Percussion Massage Guns on the sidelines mostly on players thighs. I figure this is mostly to keep them from cramping up. I'm no athlete but kept thinking this may provide some relief for RLS so I finally ordered one. They cost anywhere from $75 to $275.

After researching what at least some teams in the NFL are using I bought the most expensive one on Amazon, Hypervolt 2 Pro by Hyperice and paid for a 3 year warranty on top. I figured I would carefully unpack it, try it out and return it if I had to. The less expensive ones made by many companies may be just as good, who knows. It came in a day and was packaged well, built solid, quiet and felt great on my thighs. I expect I will be using it on other sore muscles but bought it for RLS.

My RLS kicked in an hour or two before bed and I used it on my thighs. It seems very effective at negating the RLS. I had the speed set at about 1/3 and there is no setting to adjust level but seems about right without beating up my muscles. I used it on and off until bed without having to get up and walk around. I got up in the middle of the night when nature called and used it for a few minutes without disturbing my wife in the next room. Again it felt great and I went right back to sleep, I do feel some residual pain from PLMS as usual this morning but not bad.

So far I'm thrilled and hope things stay that way. My RLS is concentrated in my thighs and on really bad days moves to my forearms. Pain is concentrated in the vastis lateralis muscles (outer thighs) which can get banjo tight on a bad night. I'm on 2 drugs that rule my life, make me feel like a criminal when I get refills and do nothing for daytime RLS. Supplements and a long list of other drugs have not helped over a lifetime, over six decades, of RLS. I know everyone's symptoms are different and don't expect this to be a cure all but am excited to post this and wonder if anyone else has tried it.

Polar Bear

Re: Handheld Percussion Massage Gun

Post by Polar Bear »

It is so good to hear that this Hand Percussion Massage Gun is helping you. To have immediate relief upon using it is a blessing even if it is temporary.
You have described so well how you have used it and I'm sure that other members will read it with interest.
Thank you for telling us of your experience.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My whole family has symptoms primarily in our thighs - we often use the "karate chop" method of beating on the muscles with our hands. Seems that this would do that much more effectively.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Views, I've been using the karate chop since I was a teenager.