You feel fine and then you lie down . . . !

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jul2873

You feel fine and then you lie down . . . !

Post by jul2873 »

It happens to me so much. I took some kratom a couple of hours ago, and have felt fine until I try lying down. Then my legs start up! For me, this works:

I've bought a big roll of tubular elastic bandage on Amazon, and cut strips the size of where the RLS attacks my legs. Then I rub a little Hemp cream (I use Charlotte's Web, also from Amazon) and then pull the elastic bandage over the part of my leg that is acting up. Almost always it calms my legs down enough that I can go to sleep.

I also like this because the bandage roll is so big that I could get at least twenty strips from it, which means I have plenty and so can throw them in the wash right after using. So they are always fresh and clean.

Rustsmith

Re: You feel fine and then you lie down . . . !

Post by Rustsmith »

You can also try soaking your legs in very hot water when this happens. For most of us, it immediately calms your legs and the RLS doesn't return for about 20 minutes, which is usually enough to allow you to fall asleep if you go to bed immediately after drying your legs.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: You feel fine and then you lie down . . . !

Post by Polar Bear »

Exactly what Steve says above about hot water .....but icy cold water worked for me, every time. Feels painful for a.moment but very quickly eases. I used a jug to constantly trickle the water from at least knee high. 15-20 minutes and ready for bed.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation