Leg cramps

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
juliefaulk@hotmail.com

Leg cramps

Post by juliefaulk@hotmail.com »

Hello, I have CMT (a peripheral neurological disease) (I'm a 39 year old female and in
general, in very good health) and have for years suffered on and off
from night leg cramps. I can not seem to find a cause for these. I
take a very comprehensive one-a-day vitamin, and a daily magnesium and
potassium tablet along with a glass of tonic water (for the quinine) a
couple of times per week. I also stretch my calves several times a week before bedtime. The cramps do not seem linked with dehydration
or even muscle fatigue from working out. Last night was miserable. I
was awakened about 10 times with leg cramps. The pain is excruciating
and I have to jump out of bed and try to stand on both legs to alleviate
the cramps. There does not appear to be any antecedent to last night's
episodes. Needless to say, there is no quality sleep on these nights.
Other times I can go for a week or two or even three without any cramps
at all. Would this be considered restless leg syndrome? Any ideas? Thank
you for any and all advice. Sincerely, Julie

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I have no idea if your leg cramps come from RLS. But I have had RLS for several years. Just recently I have had horrible leg cramps as well as in my behind. So far, nothing seems to help. My doctor has also made a clinical diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy and I am really ignorant about it. If you find out any info that helps, please keep me posted and I will do the same.