snake oil (removed by SJ)

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
SJ

snake oil (removed by SJ)

Post by SJ »

I have removed my posting concerning a product that I feel so very strongly about.
It has been in place long enough to see that I will not be able to have volunteers try this product to see if it is as wonderful for them as it has been for me. I felt it was important that I be up front about the fact I was selling it so that I did not appear to be trying to fool anyone. I feel strongly about the negativity that my postings have generated and have decided to remove this posting.

Below is what this product has done for me. Please do not read it if you feel strongly that I am just giving a sales pitch. Please note the product name and company name have been removed. Also I will not accept personal inquiries for 2 weeks. This should give everyones negative energies time to disapate.

I was introduced to _______ while visiting my friend in Napa, CA. Each morning when she took her dose of _______ she also poured one for me. Prior to taking this health supplement I would be tired and my eyes would burn all day. Within three days I noticed I was sleeping better, and within 2 weeks I noticed I had more energy. I am thrilled. It is now 3 month later and I have been able to cut my medications for Restless Leg Syndrome in half. I feel like the clock has been turned back 10 years.

If that isn’t enough, my formerly paper thin fingernails are now strong and have grown to an unbelievable length. Also my hair, which had been baby fine, now has body and is curlier. I’ve allowed it to grow longer because of this improvement in texture. I even had a friend say “Wow. What did you do to your hair?” When I told her I am taking _______, she ordered some the next day and reports she hasn’t had a tired day since.

Thank you for listening. I am thrilled that I can share this important event in my life with you.

You may remove me from this site if you wish. I would like to help others but, as we all know it is very difficult to find the best regimen for each person. I wish you well. See you in a couple of weeks.

Sincerely,
SJ Graves

"Health is worth more than learning."
Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Last edited by SJ on Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

trevb

Post by trevb »

Thanks shirley for you post........i appreciate your previous post and that you have done this carefully and with thought.... but i do have concerns about a promotion that will benefit you financially... i am opening this up to members.

members.....
im a little bit worried about this post??
anyone share my concern, or is it just me?

i understand this is partly telling us about a therapy that has worked for one person which is fine, but that she has a financial interest concerns me... i understand that she says only $2.50 per bottle but Im still not sure about this!!

also, even if people decide this is ok....i disagree for us to be feeding back in this post about the product as she requests as this is potentially aiding her financially on a site that was not meant for this. i dont like the idea of the forum being used for commerce purposes.

We delete posts that are selling drugs or any adverts normally... if we keep one does that mean we have then set a precedent and keep others as it is then not fair?

so whats everyones opinion? am i going over the top?? please feel free to comment or use poll.
Last edited by trevb on Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevb

Post by trevb »

personal message to: trevb
copied to this topic
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:23 pm
Subject: snake oil revision
Hello, I see that I misnderstood the guidelines that were discribed to me after my first posting. I thought if I could keep it to 4 to 5 people the benifits would be small enough to be OK. Also I made a point to say, I would not make another posting urging people to buy this product. I don’t have a government grant to do a study on “sleep disorders and limu plus” so I asked for 5 people that are both emotionally and financially able to see if this works. How about if the results of the use by 5 people if privately posted to me? I would like the use by 5 people publicly posted so that as I said “all would know I am not selling one bottle to 100 people” and disappearing. Would this be a fair compromise? You have my permission to alter my posting with these changes if you like. Or tell me how to remove this listing and re-post under tighter guidelines. I have amazing results with Limu Plus but I really don’t know if it is going to be amazing for just a few or many. Others can buy it from whom ever they wish if I keep my promises not to re-list the product and website. And as you know you can boot me out wish is why I asked for guidance in the first place.

Shirley Graves

quote-And as you know you can boot me out wish is why I asked for guidance in the first place.

you certainly wont be booted out as youve been very careful and sensitive with your posts so far...this forum is open to all sufferers, so I'm pleased you found us. but we need to be careful about people selling things. i cant say Im happy about it personally.but well see what others say
trev

SJ

vote for snake oil

Post by SJ »

Even the President of the United States votes for himself so I voted for this post to stay. :P
SJ
If you never try anything new, nothing will ever change"

becat

Hello and hmmmmm

Post by becat »

Hi to ya'll.
I'm not in favor of this type of post because, the one rule we learn first here is that.......Nothing works for all of us. Nothing works for many of us the same way. None of us even have the same type of symptoms constistantly.......And if someone tells you they have a cure, they are generally just selling you something.
Not to mention that this post states that her husband will make a profit.
I'm not saying it might not work for some people here, I myself have written about alternatives that worked for me. However, I don't sell any of them, just use them. And I think I added that I didn't give up my medications to use or replace with an alternative.
Smacks of sells pitch to me.
However, I'm perfectly happy that it worked for Shirley and I'd never take that away from her or anyone else that got benefit from it. Normally, these kind of post are written differently.
Shirely we're glad you found us and would love for you to post, but my vote is to drop the sells pitch.

SJ

my little miracle suppliment

Post by SJ »

LET'S STIR HOPE SOME HOPE HERE, is just right. Please vote. I'm not going to be allowed to mention this product again, and I can understand why. If you wanted commercials, cable TV would not be so popular.
SJ
If you never try anything new, nothing will ever change"

becat

Just so you know

Post by becat »

Anyone here would tell you that I'm all about Stirring up hope. Let's do it, but lets do it for the common good of us all. I'm sorry I come off so blunty, but I really care for the people that come to this board. that includes you Shirley. Having lived with RLS all my life, I find it more than a passion to make a difference in this community.
My concern is that if someone shows up here and sees a post selling something, they'll think that the foundation supports that product. It's just not so. It's not until someone hangs around and gets to know us that they understand that we're only selling education, and support.
What I have been taught about the foundation, is that they believe that it is important to remain unbias about any treatment, any imformation, and anyone claiming facts about RLS. this is a non profit foundation looking to better the lives of people that suffer with RLS, not sell them some thing.
My problem with this type of post is that it is just like the spam we receive on this board without 2 exceptions.
1. You seem to suffer with RLS, for that I'm sorry. No one deserves to suffer with this disorder. Let alone, do it by themselves. Your points of view are likely helpful to many and non-pharm solutions are an important part of coping with this disorder.
2. What makes your pitch different than what most or how most of us talk about these things.....your outright telling us your selling it.
Again sorry for the blunt style in my response, but RLS is making it to the spotlight, finally. I'm sure that this is not the last time we'll hear about some miracle. The wonderful thing is that you've found one for yourself. My prayers are that we all do, sooner than later. But this forum, this board does so much more than what making a living off of us could ever be worth.

Butterfoot

yeah becat

Post by Butterfoot »

becat, once again you know just what to say and how to say it. SJ, I can understand the urge to want to help people by trying to get them to use what you're using. And if you can make some profit on the side...woohoo! :D I used to use and sell Herbalife and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And as much as herbal supplements are on the rise in popularity, just like medication, what works great for one person isn't going to work for another, and insurance sure isn't going to defray any of the costs. Seems to just be the laws of nature when it comes to RLS. If the post stays, I'm not going to lose sleep, although I'm not thrilled with it and did vote against it. However, if it stays, the name of the product is there, and those who can afford that and are willing to try, God bless them. Personally, I'm not much of a risk taker, and would not be willing to pay that amt of money for a bottle of "nature's remedy" without a ton of other RLS sufferers' testimonials that this is manna from heaven.

I just don't think this particular forum is the place to market your wares.

And with that said, just one more thought....All free samples are accepted! :wink:
May only good come your way.

trevb

Re: my little miracle suppliment

Post by trevb »

SJ wrote: I'm not going to be allowed to mention this product again, and I can understand why. If you wanted commercials, cable TV would not be so popular.
SJ

thanks for understanding sj. i appreciate it.

livesfortheOne

Post by livesfortheOne »

What I wonder is why you don't offer the product at your cost so there's no monetary gain for others to worry about....