antihistimines and rls

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ivesgaml@aol.com

antihistimines and rls

Post by ivesgaml@aol.com »

this is a follow up to a posting i made a few months ago about my wife having rls but not all the time and the relation to the fact that it corasponded with when she took claritin / im pretty sure any antihistimine but dont quote me on that part. well we did the test meaning she stoped then started claritn and the rls comes and goes in sync with the medicine hope this helps someone else...

jumpyowl

Thank you!

Post by jumpyowl »

Thank you for posting. I am sure it will help many people. Yes, antihistamines do exacerbate the symptoms. Interestingly, in the case of your wife, claritin apparently causes it. :roll:

Claritin (Loratadine) is a non-sedating antihistamine which is now available over-the-counter. It may be non-sedating but interestingly one of the possible side effects is muscle weakness. :shock:
Jumpy Owl

Jodie

Antihistimines

Post by Jodie »

And all this time I've been taking benedryl to help me sleep! I had no idea that my "shaking legs" had any side effects besides annoying the heck out of my boyfriend. But now it seems it's probably the cause of my poor sleeping and excessive tiredness during the day. I guess no more benedryl at night for me!

mjkinch

Anti Histamines

Post by mjkinch »

I have been taking Clarityn for a while, esp during the summer. It took me a little time to make the link, but Clarityn does make my RLS a lot worse. I switched to a steroid based nose spray and the symptons certainly got better. ALso the 'help you sleep' type tablets, like 'nytol' are even worse, as I found they use a high dose of anti-histamine to make you sleepy, so you end up really tired and with a bad dose of RLS.

At least thats my experience!

Martyn

sardsy75

Medical Alert Card with Drugs To Be Avoided Listed

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Martyn

Below is a link to an RLS Medical Alert Card which has been put together by the Southern California RLS Support Group.

This card has valuable information including a list of drugs to be avoided (including antihistamines) for RLS patients and there is space to add your drugs and other medical problems.

http://www.rlshelp.org/RLS%20Medical%20 ... 9-4-02.doc

You might want to print a copy out and keep it with you at all times. It will particularly come in handy next time you're at the pharmacy seeking help for a cold/flu.

Take care of you!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!