Tyrosine ?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
EdMac

Tyrosine ?

Post by EdMac »

Ha anyone tried Tyrosine ? I have been reading how it helps create dopamine. and dopamine receptors.
I orderd some online, I also had some initial luck with Saint johns wort ., had no RLS for seven days,(Thought I was cured) then it came back with a vengence. Doctor prescribed a anti convulsive medicine to go along with the requip. the requip helps some but I would like to have rls totally under control.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

EdMac, it's been awhile, but last year there was someone who found this worked well for his wife. You might find it by searching on tyrosine. I think it is in this section, though, so you could also just look for it.

Good luck finding it. It has quite a bit of interesting information in it.

Welcome!

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sara

More on Tyrosine

Post by Sara »

Hello, Ed--

You can find the original tyrosine discussion (which was quite lengthy, as I recall) by searching for all posts from "Robin-Whittle" I think. Ann is right, it was here on this section of the forum, and I'm thinking maybe a year and a half ago?

In the meantime, you can view a later revisitation of the tyrosine discussion at the link below.

http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=611

I understand the reasoning behind tyrosine perhaps being helpful because of it's connection to dopamine, but it does NOT help my RLS...or my overall health/comfort. I hope that perhaps you'll have the kind of help that Robin-Whittle claims his wife has had, but as I said in the thread linked above... it seems to me that if it was as good as he claims, someone else would be here telling us the same thing.

I have taken several different amino acids, and one of the things that's key in amino acid supplementation is that if you have any negative reaction to a particular amino, that is the signal that your body "does not need it"... or perhaps in the case of RLS, our bodies cannot properly "use" it? I don't claim to have any knowledge of the biochemistry of this situation, but from my reading, my experience with tyrosine indicates that it is not able to "fix" the dopamine situation that causes RLS... at least not in my body.

Good luck to you in trying to find some relief! My RLS has been worse than usual lately, and I know I'd love to find some new level of non-pharm. help for it.

Take care.
Sara :D