iron therapy gone bad....

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]

iron therapy gone bad....

Post by Guest »

my dr finally decided my rls was real and was being caused by low iron so she called me 3 days ago and told me to buy a bottle of iron, 65 mg tablets, and to take 2 tabs 3 times per day...for a total of 6 tabs per day for 3 months..then to go down to 1 tab 3 times per day.. I happily went out and bought my bottle of iron and started the regimine... didnt do much the first night, had to revert to taking a couple vicodin, second night things were a little better, same with the third night but i suspect that since iron absorbsion rates are so low it will take time to really work... my main concern at this point is that since i started taking all this iron I havent slept..not a wink... I'm going on almost 74 hours now... i feel like i could conquer the world.. my house is really clean but it's getting to be a little old and that bottle of rum thats been under the kitchen sink for 2 years is looking REAL good... It's 630a and i cant call my dr for another couple hours.. has anyone else had this experience on iron??? holy cow...when am i gonna hit the brick wall? hmmm... think i'll go clean the toilet again ... all kidding aside... has she managed to over dose me?

mwilson

Post by mwilson »

that post up there was from me... sorry, forgot to login first...
yes i desperately need some sleep :cry:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

While low iron may be the cause, you are so right that is can take awhile to have an effect. If you don't have a transfusion (or whatever it's called) it can take six months to get your levels raised to a point that has an effect. I certainly haven't heard of any doctors having someone do iron therapy without a drug to help in the meantime.

Good luck talking to your doctor - I think you need to call in the morning!

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.