Only on flights?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Lisa S

Only on flights?

Post by Lisa S »

I was amazed when I first saw the commercial about RLS. My first thought was - They have a name for it now?! This ONLY happens to me when I get on an airplane!! Could it be claustrophobia?? Anyone else have this only on planes?

As soon as I get on the plane, my leg gets this weird feeling of not being able to sit still that shoots out from my hip area. I feel like it MUST be moved or the feeling gets very uncomfortable. I've pounded on the top of my leg with my knuckles but that only gets rid of it while I hit.

The only think that works is to get a shot bottle of tequila or whisky and down a beer afterwards. I'm thinking I'll take some Valerian Root along with me this next time as that helped when I got leg cramps a few years ago.

trevb

Post by trevb »

HI LISA IT DOES SOUND VERY MUCH LIKE RLS ACCORDING TO THE SYMPTOMS YOU ARE DESCRIBING.. YOUVE DESCRIBED IT VERY WELL

YES I GET IT ON PLANES BUT NOT ONLY ON PLANES.. ITS REALLY ANYWHERE WHERE I AM NOT MOVING AROUND... SO THATS INTERESTING OF YOU TO SAY THAT!!?? DO YOU GET IT IN CARS ALSO?

opps sorry 'caps lock' on by accident.... im not really shoating!!
have you spotted the sticky posts in the new to rls section yet? it has loads of info thata you may find interesting ... or not!!

anyway.. good to speak and welcome

Post by Guest »

trevb wrote:YES I GET IT ON PLANES BUT NOT ONLY ON PLANES.. ITS REALLY ANYWHERE WHERE I AM NOT MOVING AROUND... SO THATS INTERESTING OF YOU TO SAY THAT!!?? DO YOU GET IT IN CARS ALSO?

I normally don't have any problems in cars. On a rare occassion, it'll happen if I'm on a really long road trip in a cramped space when I'm a passenger, but not if I'm the driver. Weird. It's almost like it's a mind thing, since being on a plane, I can't go anywhere and as a passenger, I can't make the decision to pull over when I want to.

Lisa

trevb

Post by trevb »

ok.. if you find alcohol works for you then go for it... as long as you dont get chucked out of the plane for disorderly conduct :lol:

some people find alcohol makes them worse but others dont. its really trial and error.
the other option is to find a medication that can settle things down for a long journeyt if you feel you cant cope with the symptoms. Im sure there are some that you can use as short acting durgs as a once only when you neeed it a few hours before flight?

someone help me out here with something she could suggest to her dr.... im not sure as im not on meds and dont know too much about them....but maybe an opiod based one off drug to help you get thro the flight?

trevb

Post by trevb »

[quote="Anonymous] On a rare occassion, it'll happen if I'm on a really long road trip in a cramped space when I'm a passenger, but not if I'm the driver. Lisa[/quote]

yeah i get the same.. i think its when youre driving you are actually doing something and focussing and also using your legs much more.

trevb

Post by trevb »

Anonymous wrote:it'll happen if I'm on a really long road trip in a cramped space when I'm a passenger, but not if I'm the driver. Lisa

yeah i get the same.. i think its when youre driving you are actually doing something and focussing and also using your legs much more.

Beth

On an Airplane

Post by Beth »

Hi I just joined this group. I always get it when I'm on a plane or in a car. I think it has something to do with the vibration?? I find that in the car if I put my feet against the window, which is usually cold it seems to help. That's impossible to do on the plane.

Just as a side not, my restless legs have been relatively non existance since I gave up caffeine. I am not on any medication and I only have them occasionaly. I've been off caffeine for several years now. I know it doesn't work for everyone though.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

But it's a good point, Beth, giving up caffeine works for many people, especially in the years when it is intermittent and is managable through making these changes. It may not eliminate RLS when it gets more frequent or severe, but it might limit the severity.

Of course, for some people it doesn't have any effect. But this is one of the first things to do if you are trying to control it.

I always get RLS on a plane, too. I assume it is the combination of the position I'm in, the lack of movement for long periods, and the sleepiness that comes with resting and traveling. As soon as I get relaxed, RLS kicks in. I avoid that at home by jumping up frequently, doing laundry while I relax so I have to get up and move around, changing my position, etc. If I get in a comfy position on the couch and relax like I do on a plane, I'll get RLS at home, too. But I don't allow myself to do it at home because I'm either too busy or I know subconsciously that my RLS will start.

Just my two cents.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Lisa S.

Re: Only on flights?

Post by Lisa S. »

Lisa S wrote:This ONLY happens to me when I get on an airplane!! Could it be claustrophobia?? Anyone else have this only on planes?

I wanted to give an update since I was just on a flight (5 hours, then 3 hours - one way). I started having leg problems almost as soon as I got on the first flight and went NUTS until they turned off the seatbelt light. I got out my Valerian Root and took about 1.5 ml w/water. Within 5 minutes, it was gone and my legs were completely relaxed!! SOOooo glad that it worked :!: