RE: Ann's quote re: tyrosine from the conference

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]

RE: Ann's quote re: tyrosine from the conference

Post by Guest »

[
i]The researchers are proposing that iron insufficiency disrupts dopamine. They have done four different types of studies, and all give the same result. Because of the iron problems, other chemicals are also affected. They have found increase levels of tyrosine hydroxylase (they expected decreased levels) and they found increased levels of biopterin (sp?) in the morning, with a large increase starting at 2 AM.
[/i]

Hey, all, since this comes up periodically, I thought that it was important to highlight this comment and move it to the appropriate forum.

This finding seems to dovetail well with my own experiences with supplemental tyrosine, a subject occasionally posited here as beneficial.

The basic facts oft amino acid supplementation are that if your body needs an amino and you supplement, you will have no side effects and should have increased general health and well-being. Member Robin-Whittle has supposedly had good results "treating" his wife's RLS with tyrosine supplements, and he periodically comes by to post about that. Good for them if it works.

However, having tried supplemental tyrosine for thyroid function, and later as a "double-check" for RLS, and having had obvious and immediate negative side effects both times, I am not at all surprised by the finding quoted above from Ann's conference notes. A negative side-effect from supplemental amino acids is a clear indicator that your body is NOT deficient in that substance.

Thanks, Ann, for happening to mention that. It just goes to support what I knew all along was true in my body/brain chemistry. And it certainly puts a different light on theories to the contrary. I recommend everyone slog their way through the "what we learned" posts over in General Discussion, because the ladies who went have included lots of interesting comments and impressions there.

Sara

Post by Guest »

bump