Massagers and the like

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Sole

Massagers and the like

Post by Sole »

I use a Homedics hand held massager to help relieve the restlessness. The problem is, it's not intended for how I use it. I put it under a pillow and lay my legs on top of it. It gets hot very quickly so I can only use it for short periods of time. I actually burned my first one up, not knowing how hot it gets. The hard plastic melted right through my pillow and I wole up to a horrible stink and soon to be fire! What a dumb head. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any massage/vibrating devices that are flat or perhaps that I could wrap around my legs at night.

Thanks,

sole

becattx

if you want to try

Post by becattx »

Sole here's another one of my mother's JUST TRY IT things.
She said if you are handing leg cramps you can slip a small, like hotel size, piece of soap under your sheets by your feet. She swears it works and yes she's done it. :lol:
I do wonder where she finds this stuff. I thought it was funny, but it is always worth the try.
Giggling,
becat

Sole

Post by Sole »

Oh Lord, now THAT'S too much!!! LOL! My problem isn't cramping. My problem is figgeting. When my legs are being vibrated, I don't have to figget. Hey, is there a word for the need to move the legs?

sole

becat

i told you

Post by becat »

I TOLD YOU, SHE FINDS SOME (HMMMMMM? NICE WORD HERE) QUIRKY STUFF. JUST THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY.
FIGGET? I'M SURE THERE IS ........IN MY TEENAGE BOYS I CALL IT HAROMES, LOL LOL LOL JUST JOKING.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I found a vibrating/heat pad at e-bay through the Target store. It is about 24"x12" and will vibrate 20 minutes then turn itself off. You can use the heat or not. I think I paid about $30 for it and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I think it is what you are looking for. Just go to your search engine (I use Google) and type in "vibrate/heat pad".

Sole

Post by Sole »

Thanks for the most excellent direction, Ruby. I found a vibrating mat on Ebay that's 64 inches long and 20 some inches wide. There are quite a few of them. I can't wait for it to come.

Thank you again! :-)
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jumpyowl

Just a thought!

Post by jumpyowl »

While enjoying this hilarious thread my eyes caught from Sole:

Hey, is there a word for the need to move the legs?

Yes, there are actually three words for it: Restless Leg Syndrome. 8)

My wife has an adjustable motorized bed with both the upper and lower part vibrating separately. She insisted on my trying it but I could not tell the difference. I will again try it when I am having paresthesia, that will require some scheduling, though :wink:

Happy fidgeting to all!
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Post by Sole »

Jumpy,

Did your fall turn you into a smart alec? :wink:

Is this the word I am looking for? paresthesia
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jumpyowl

Probably regret answering this,

Post by jumpyowl »

Honestly, I did not actually think that it was my turn to be cute. However, those words occurred to me (I did not think of paresthesia as it is not often used on this board) as a snappy answer.

Could not even guess someone will take it as an insult. :oops: I thought we were all friends where a bit of kidding was allowed. :?

All right, I am here to help others as well as myself. So no more humor, even inadvertent humor, I promise.
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Post by Sole »

Oh dear, Jumpy. I apologize. I forgot to mention that I LOVE a good smart alec!! :D One thing to know about me is that I swim in sarcasm, am rarely serious and am quite thick skinned. I would never have taken what you said as an insult. I took it just as you wrote...snappy! (must I say I'm kidding? that would kinda ruin the whole flavor of the reply.) :wink:
Sole