reike treatments have worked for me!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
m. w.

reike treatments have worked for me!

Post by m. w. »

I have had several reike treatments and my restless legs are restless no more! :D It's amazing. I have level two reike now myself and use it for any number of ailments. As the energy passes through my body it leaves through my feet. All I have to do is place one foot against the calf of my other leg and just wait for the heat to be generated. Reike actually finds the places on your body that need the energy but direct heat (from hands or feet) feels really good on any sore spot. Reike workshops are widely available and I would encourage anyone to look into this type of therapeutic touch therapy. My medical doctor is a tad sceptical, but there are many docs who wholeheartedly embrace it in their practices. And afterall, it's my legs that were jumping around, not hers!!

georger

Reike, question for M.W

Post by georger »

MW
can you describe your symptoms before Reike? For example, did you have RLS every nite, or occasionally? Were you on any other drugs for it before Reiki?

Thanks, Sherry

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Sherry, I hope that MW will be back. It would be interesting to know more specifics.

A friend of ours is currently training in accupuncture. He had sustained severe injuries when he was hit by a car. In his search for pain relief, he found accupressure to be the most useful. He plans to offer his services once his training is completed to help others, especially lower income individuals. Recently, we discussed RLS and he is going to talk with his instructors the possible alternatives of using accupuncture or accupressure.

A close friend of mine is a reiki instructor. She lives in New Mexico. Several years ago close to ten years ago! I found the couple of sessions to be relaxing, yet we never did any specific healing intention. I'll have to contact her and see if she has had any experience with RLS.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

It's frustrating when someone comes up with a new way to "treat" RLS but doesn't give specifics. I have no idea what this reike thing is. I am usually skeptical when someone shows up with a claim that an item or treatment is a wonder cure for them but at the same time I'm not willing to rule it out until I know more about it. Hopefully we can learn a little more and maybe it can actually help someone. I remember years ago I met a woman who did shiatsu massage. I became a firm believer in the benefits after she demonstrated on me but she had to prove it to me first. She told me step by step what I would feel and how I would feel the next day. Amazing! Unfortunately, there isn't anyone around here who practices this. :cry: So maybe our new friend will come back and explain more.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Ruby,

It is frustrating that alternative methods are few and far between in the midwest! My weekly massage is helpful, yet I know with someone more experienced it could be much better!

Reiki is the transference of the universal life energy (Ki or light energy) through an attuned Reiki practitioner to a person needing to regain health or well being. Reiki brings balance to the human system, clears un-healthful emotions, and restores the natural flow of energy that is essential to health and healing. In a session the practicioner never touches your body.

My experience 10 years ago was just a couple *friend* sessions she was a level 2 practioner at the time and were truly relaxing and refreshing. The massage therapist I went to who has since moved, returned from a conference in which Reiki was discussed and asked if I would mind a session with her. It was nothing special. Yet she was not a trained practitioner either!

In my search for balance and relief, I am open to considering merging western and eastern therapies. Excited, this weekend I will spend some time with the student of accupuncture! Hoping he has had some input from his teachers and to have some good discussions! I'll keep you posted!

following the light of those sparkling shoes! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I go from being skeptical to "what if" to might as well give it a try. There are times when something comes along that's just too out there. but I think (at least for me) that sometimes we're also too quick to dismiss ideas because they are foreign to us. I have never tried acupuncture but surely there is something to it at least for a lot of people or it wouldn't have survived for centuries. I mean, face it; why would people all down through the years allow pins to be put in their bodies unless they were getting relief. No, it doesn't work for everyone. But that sure doesn't mean we can write it off. A friend gave me a set of magnetic bracelets for my fibro pain. On really bad days when my arms and hands hurt I wear them. They seem to help a little. Maybe it's just in my head because I WANT them to help. Who cares? If it is giving relief, that's what matters to me. I know massage helps me tremendously. I just can't afford it very often.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Hey Rubyslippers! The shining light led me here!

I agree, everyone reacts differently to different things. I know some who get no benefit from massage, or it makes their condition worse.

In talking with Co, I was glad that he mentioned that accupuncture is but one aspect of healing arts, and should never be thought that it is a cure all. That is why he is receiving education in various other therapies and anatomy and so forth... He did comment and I agree, that eastern medicine is based on preventative more so than western. Westerners tend to treat the symptoms, and most western people seeking help through accupuncture will want relief of their symptoms, and once they achieve a level of comfort will forego preventative treatment. Does that make sense? Fibro fog! *BG*

Are you still involved with the play? Hope that it has been a huge success! It has to have been, our Rubyslippers was in it!

You keep using those magnetic bracelets! Honestly the mind can be a powerful tool in self healing! Just wish mine was a tad more developed! Some daze I feel like the scarecrow on the way to the emerald city!

You click the heels, and together we will kick up some hope, Hazel

Post by Guest »

It seems kinda like faith healing to me.

I am a believer in wearing copper though for arthritis.

AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

ksxroads wrote:Reiki is the transference of the universal life energy (Ki or light energy) through an attuned Reiki practitioner to a person needing to regain health or well being. Reiki brings balance to the human system, clears un-healthful emotions, and restores the natural flow of energy that is essential to health and healing. In a session the practitioner never touches your body.

Hazel,

You are quite right on the Reiki, although a Level 2 practitioner doesn't need to use hands-on. I am a Level 2 practitioner & I use Reiki almost exclusively on myself. Reiki can be used for a vast number of bodily ailments. It's worth looking around for courses in your local area.

Best described as a kinda like a merging of the spiritual with the physical. Faith healing? You can't see air, but does that mean the wind doesn't exist? Al I know is that it works, over & over again. Trouble is, it just doesn't seem to touch my RLS particularly well! Some you win, some you don't, huh?

Rodney.
Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

OMG ... another Aussie on the Boards :lol:

Welcome to our family Rodney ... feel free to post wateva, wheneva ... there's always someone lurking about to lend an ear, answer a question or offer advice.

Do you know much about craniosacral therapy at all?

I have been going to a cranio therapist for the past 3 years and combined with meditation have found that I have been able to get some of my more nasty RLS attacks back under control.

A lot of people have questioned how I managed to stay "still" during my treatments, but its not so much staying "still" as being able to bring both physical and spritual together and getting my body, mind and spirit back on the one track.

Hope that made sense?!

Hope to see you around the boards Rodney.

BTW ... whereabouts in Canberra are you? My younger sister lives in Rivett.

Take care of you!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

Nadia,

Onya mate! I'm in Bruce. I've stuck mainly to Reiki in the physical realm, but the spiritual stuff is wide open. Actually there's an interesting piece in the latest newsletter on my website.

Rodney.

rtlegpain

Post by rtlegpain »

Reiki works for me. It's the only thing that's taken the pain away. It stays away for different lenghts of time but it does stay away for awhile.

I don't know how it works and would call myself more of a skeptic but I can tell you it does work.

I did not even know what the pain was but have recently been told it is RLS by my GP. The reason she asked if I thought I had it is because of very low Ferritin levels which I've been rebuilding with iron therapy. I've probably been ferritin deficient since my first child who is now 13 years old but it never showed up on the blood tests. I had to request my GP run a ferritin test on recommendation of a friend. Mine was 18 (low is 11 normal is > 50 more like 70-90).

For years (probably 8 or more) I have had pain in my right thigh, especially at night. The thigh has been so tight it's thrown off my pelvis and lower back. I have called myself and insomniac but realized it was more from the leg pain and twitching than anything.

The reiki takes away the pain but I still don't sleep as well as I would like, however I also have graves disease which causes insomnia. I have had a thyroidectomy and slept great for about 2 weeks after the surgery then the insomnia and leg pains came back. I wonder if the drip they had me on boosted up the electrolites in my system for a short time?

I pretty much gave up on treating the leg pain as I had years of massages, a MRI on my spine, x-rays of my hip, chairopractic adjustments, 8 months of physical therapy. One day I went to a new massage therapist who practices Reiki and finally got relief. I don't understand it but I can tell yo it does work. I went skiing with my family last winter and was terrified the leg pain would keep me off the slopes. I had a reiki treatment before I went and even with skiing 3 days I had no thigh pain at all. There was not any pain for weeks after either, I was amazed.

In September when I was dx'd with ferritin deficiency I took the free sample of Requip my GP offered. It was the best and worst decision I've ever made. I took it for 2 weeks and slept the best I've slept in years, however it did not last. After 2 weeks I needed a higher dosage, then 2 doses in the evening and night. My symptoms came sooner in the evening and were the worst they had ever been, all while my iron was building and I was suppose to be getting better. I quit the requip 5 days ago and did not sleep for 4 nights. My husband said the leg twitches were unbelivable. He had never mentioned noticing the leg twitches until I went onto then off the requip. The only advice the gP gave me was to take more but I told her I was stopping and asked for something to help me sleep. The GP gave me AmbienCR and that let me sleep 3 hours and forget the horrible leg twitching that's been going on and keeping me awake. Last night I took a valarian and still did not sleep well but the leg issues had almost seemed to resolve. The last thing I want to get dependent on now is the Ambien.

I have a reiki treatment now scheduled and knowing what I know today will say that reiki does indeed work on rls, I just never knew thats what I had.

For those of you that don't know about reiki, the person performing it on you does not touch you or only lightly at times. It truly is an amazing experience and makes me feel as relaxed as a full body massage.

AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

Yes, it's no fun getting off Ambien. I lost my second wife to a brain aneurysm 3 years ago while living temporarily in Seattle (organ donation & all) & the Ambien was the only thing that got me any sleep at all. It was only after I weaned myself off that I realised how tired I had been every morning from the residual effect. Amazing what we can get through when we have to!

For the information of the forum, Reiki is the transmission of a cosmic energy, usually via the hands, coming through the practitioner to the client, so it does not deplete in any way the pracititioner's own energy levels. It's similar in nature to the healing power of Christ - that same healing power has also been evident in other religions. Because it is energy & we are essentially energy beings, the client's body decides (sometimes unconsciously) how much it is prepared to receive. One of the great benefits of Reiki is that the practitioner can also be the client!

On another note, I seem to be getting relief from the aching in my legs from aspirin, but not just any aspirin, it must be coated aspirin. Go figure.

Rodney.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

our native american shamans also used hands on for healing many pains and still do for me there is nothing as healing as going into a swet lodge and doing a vison quest very healing and spiritual. My rls will stay quite for a few days after a visit~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae