soap trick?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
judgejan

soap trick?

Post by judgejan »

My brother (physical therapist), laughed a lot and mentioned that he heard something about a bar of soap in your bed. Hey, I'd put almost anything in my bed if it would stop the leg shaking.
Does anyone know details?

becat

Post by becat »

Hi and Welcome JudgeJan,
This is what it's about and some around here do not like the conversation. But I'll answer, as I live with 3 bars in my bed at all times. It may be that I play with them at night or it may not help at all, but there the are for a couple of years now.
small piece or a hotel size bar of soap between the sheets and mattress pad.
No dove or dial, they are detergents, not soap.

It may not do much for my RLS, as I depend on good medications.

However, I have always had awful cramps with my period. That little piece of soap just under my belly button, next to my skin....that works!
So, will help you, I don't have a clue, but I know that many in my family use it in bed and it helps them. They are much more on the mild side of RLS. And I will make no claims it will work for you. BUT, you got a cramp try it.
Also, if you find it doesn't work for you, the next morning shower with it and I know that works. LOL

Darw

Post by Darw »

Below is a reply I posted last May on a different RLS forum about a similar topic: :)

I would assume it is a placebo effect. However, I googled a little bit about the topic "soap & RLS". Here are some posts that I found related to this topic:

Soap therapy' may prevent restless legs

By Peter H. Gott, M.D.
Posted on Fri, Dec. 03, 2004

Dear Dr. Gott: I suffered from wicked leg cramps until I read your column about putting a bar of soap under the sheet near the legs.
I tried your remedy. That was two months ago and I have not had a cramp since. The only brands of soap that don't seem to work are Dial and Dove. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
That said, my main reason for writing you is my husband was diagnosed years ago with restless legs syndrome. None of the prescribed medications was effective; he continued to be plagued every night. So, strictly on impulse, I placed a bar of soap under the bottom sheet near his legs. He has had no symptoms for two weeks. We are ecstatic. We both now can sleep all night without awakening. Once again, we credit you with changing our lives for the better. Thank you.

Dear Reader: Since I first published my tip about soap and leg cramps, I have received hundreds of letters praising this technique.
However, until receiving your letter -- by the way, thank you -- I had not heard that soap helps patients with restless legs syndrome (RLS), a poorly understood neurological affliction marked by an uncontrollable compulsion to move one's legs in bed at night, leading to lack of sleep, exhaustion and depression. Although there are prescription drugs available to treat RLS, they are seldom 100 percent effective.
If your husband has had a favorable reaction to the soap remedy, bravo! He should continue it. Part of my purpose in printing your letter is to recommend to RLS patients that they 1) Try the remedy, and 2) Inform me about the successes -- or failures. I'll print a follow-up column once I get some feedback.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...g/10329436.htm

Soap For Restless Legs
01/31/2005

Q: This is either an urban legend or a friend is playing a joke on me. She says that if you sleep with a bar of soap (not Dove or deodorant kind) the restless leg syndrome (RLS) will not occur.
She swears that she read this someplace and that it worked for a relative. Since it was non-invasive, I slept with a bar of soap for two weeks. No RLS, but I still had leg cramps.
Is this a placebo? Mind over-matter? It is NOT logical! Have you ever heard of such a thing?

A: Your friend may have read about the soap remedy in our column. We agree that putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet is illogical. Like most remedies, it has never been tested scientifically. But we have heard from many readers that it helps prevent their cramps. Here is one:
"I have had severe leg cramps for years. When I read about putting a bar of soap in bed, I got a bar of Ivory and put it under the bottom sheet near my legs. It's been a month since I did that, and I have not had one leg cramp."
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) differs from leg cramps in that the person feels the urge to move the legs frequently. It too can interfere with sleep.

http://www.healthcentral.com/peoples...408/61043.html

Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 8:03 PM
Subject: Soap for RLS

I know this sounds insane but I swear it works. I read an article in a magazine (can't remember which one) about RLS and this lady claimed that she placed a bar of hotel soap in her bed and did not experience any more painful symptoms. I questioned why she would ever put soap in bed with her, but knew I had to try it - nothing to lose. I have been "sleeping with soap" since the first of August. I have slept through the night ever since. I know people must think I am as crazy as I thought that woman in the article was, but I'm still willing to share this information. I hope this will also be effective for others.

Medical Reply

We have heard this before but can only say that the only benefit that we can see from sleeping with soap is that you will likely be more clean than other RLS sufferers.

http://www.rlshelp.org/rlscomp43.htm

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 6:18 AM
Subject: RLS

I know this sounds crazy, but while vacationing in Canada a week ago, I was talking with two nurses. One is retired and one is a home health nurse. They both told me of knowing patients with RLS and they take a bar of soap to bed with them. One uses Irish Spring and the other says any kind. One says in the sheets and the other says under the pillow. Both agree they don't know why it works but they also agree that they have had nothing but positive feedback from the patients.
What do you think? Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Medical Reply

The only thing that I can say for sure about going to bed with soap is that these patients will be very ready to take a shower. I know of no other medical benefit from that interesting treatment.

http://www.rlshelp.org/rlscomp42.htm

March 07, 2005 11:41PM

My wife has RLS and has had problems sleeping for months. Then, my mother read a column by Dr. Gott in a newspaper, who stated that hundreds of his readers had written in with a treatment that works. Strange as it seems, it worked for my wife and my mother. The treatment---don't laugh---is to put a sliver of soap between the bed sheet and mattress in the area of your legs. It can't be Dial or Dove, for some reason. My wife was skeptical, but willing to try such a simple treatment. And, after 4 nights now, she has not had RLS symptoms during the night whatsoever. I have no explanation or understanding, but for some it seems to work, and it's worth a try to get a better's night sleep. I hope it works for you.

http://www.rls.org/communicate/archi...e=11122488 00