wearing pantyhose at night?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ricjo55

High tech medicine with hose and Jello

Post by ricjo55 »

I had been wondering about the Jello for a while. I had heard that mentioned on another website, but have not checked to see if there is a linkage. I will give that a try and see how it works. I have jello quite often as an evening snack, so will start tracking the change in RLS on jello nights. By using the panty hose I have already been able to drop a med i used to stay alert during the day, so I'll see if Jello helps even more.

I will report back in a while on this.
I'm not old and worn out...I'm a classic

DrWass2

Compression Stockings to relieve need to move

Post by DrWass2 »

I have had RLS for 20-30 years. Recently needed medical grade compression stockings for a different condittion and got the idea that the pressure on the legs would help so I tried them at night. My RLS is an tingling sensation in the thighs or calfs.. While the tingling doesn't go away the pressure of the stockings seems to satisfy the need to move and you can remain still and sleep. I think anyone who has RLS and hasn't tried them should give it a try.. Don't worry about the guy thing. just do it....I use thigh high stay up medical grade compression stockings in the 20-30mm grade.
They are very expensive $30-$80. but they can be found cheaper. I really prefer ones I get on line from Ames Walker for about $10. These have to be ordered according to your leg dimensions. (circumference of 1)ankle 2)calve 3) thigh 4) length of leg. Store brand "support" stockings are no where like real medical grade compression stockings.. Everyone owes it to themselves to try this. Men wearing stockings is much better than taking drugs and all the side effects. email me for more details if you are interested. DrWass2@aol.com.....

jan3213

Pressure stockings

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan

I had surgery this past June and in pre-surgery, among other things that exacerbated my RLS, were the pressure "things" (I don't know what they are called--sorry) they put on my legs. They drove me up the wall!!! I don't think I could possibly stand anything like your stockings. I honestly haven't tried anything like them, but I also have had RLS for 20 years and I have it so bad I panic if I don't have my medication. Even on medication, I sometimes cannot sit through a movie, ride in a car, etc. And, I never get more than 3 or 4 hours sleep. So, I can't imagine wearing anything that tight on my legs. But, I honestly haven't tried them, so I'm not critizing them. I honestly don't think they would work for me, especially after my experience at the hospital. I'm glad they work for you.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

Donna...you did'nt exactly indicate what you had after your surgery...was it a long pneumatic leg covering that would pump and and down.. or was it a very long while stocking type gadget (Probably with open toe) which are usually called "Ted" antiembolism stockings...... the real medical grade compression stockings come in different grades of pressure 8, 10-15, 20-30, or even 30-40 mm. They need to be fitted according to your particular leg dimensions....... In my case the RLS is a tingling that needs a tough or movement to satisfy...the stockings seem to do this , so the need to move is reduced or elimiated....I don't know your particular RLS situation buy if you want to try it I'm willing to help you....evan
Evan Wasserman DMD, FAGD

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi THIS IS J-A-N

I assume you were answering me, Dr. Wass2. My name is Jan, not Donna. I said that I was in PRE-SURGERY not post-surgery. Perhaps I should explain better. When you are in pre-surgery, they usually give patients medication to make them sleepy. These medications are Benadryl, and (please excuse my spelling), Veracit (I believe that was the name of the medication) and Pheneregan. I may have misstated the medication in the middle, but Benadryl and Pheneregan are both listed on the Medical Alert Card as drugs that are not to be taken by people with RLS because they cause the condition to worsen, which they definitely did in my case. Also, the medical alert card indicates that RLS patients should not have any kind of restraints used on them. You are correct in the type of compression pumps used on my legs. They finally had to remove them because they, too, were causing my RLS to worsen. I finally had to have a nurse walk me up and down the hall. I will now have to have either my medical alert card with me at all times, or wear some kind of bracelet. As I indicate to you in the post previous to the one you wrote to me, I have an extremely bad case of RLS, and have had for 20 years. I am 57 and it is getting progressively worse at a fast rate. Even with medication, I get very little sleep, and most of it is non-restorative. As I also said, I'm glad your hose help you, and I hope they help many other people. Thank you.

Jan

ViewsAskew

Much worse

Post by ViewsAskew »

OK, I've moved on from the general thread to this one as I go through the old posts. I couldn't pass up the chance to tell my pantyhose story. First, ANYTHING that touches my legs can set off the RLS. It's been that way since I was a teen. I never wear pantyhose, tight jeans, or tights in the evening if I can avoid it. When I get home, the first thing I do is take off everything from the waist down. So, no stockings for me. Now, on to my story.

Years ago, I worked for a company where I had to wear a suit each day. Pants were not allowed for the women. I commuted to work and had a 45 minute train ride home each night. I would get on the train after a 10 or 12 hour day and go sit in the farthest seat I could find on the upper level of the train, where the least amount of people would sit. Many times, my legs would start acting up, so I'd carefully remove my pantyhose while no one was looking and would stuff them into my purse. My undies usually came off with them :oops: . One night when I got home, my partner asked for something that was in my purse. I indicated he could look in my purse. Much to my surprise, and his, the first thing he found was my wadded up pair of panties and pantyhose. Boy, did I have some explaining to do!

Ann

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Ann, it's Jan again

I'm honestly not stalking you! I just get a messsage in my in box when someone posts something on the board. Anyway, regarding your story, WHAT A RIOT!!!! I think I would go nuts if I had to wear those tight things on my legs. I just about went nuts in pre-op with those compression pumps (or whatever they are called). NO THANK YOU!!!

Jan

P.S. I'm honestly not going to follow you all night! Have fun reading more posts.

helped me

panty hose

Post by helped me »

Male laughed at the idea. Hurting real bad one night told my Wife to buy some. They have support quality at Sears. She did and I tried them finally. Worked wonderful !!! slept all night. When ever I hurt I put them on and it helps. I will even wear them watching tv when my legs act up.

When I start complaining she will throw them at me and tell me to put them on so I will quit complaining about my legs. One vacation I even wore them all day at the theme park it helped so much. This is worth a try. Believe me I would never do this if it did not help.

Happy male

hurting

ph

Post by hurting »

Works well for me also. MAle been using them for almost year. Gets me through bad periods. Sometimes I will wear them to work. Bought mine at sears also. There are websites that sell therapy hose for men with flies in them for those interested.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

What about those socks the hospital gives you when you have a surgery or baby and have to stay there. Its the ones that are suppose to help in keeping down clots in your legs. I bet those would work good especially for the guys then they wouldn't feel like they are weird wearing pantyhose. lol :wink:
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

Oh I guess some have already mentioned that. But I dont think I could wear them cuz when my rls is acting up my feet sweel.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

DrWass2

compression stockings..

Post by DrWass2 »

yes for some of us with the creey crawly type of RLS, I think the compression stockings (better then normal support stockings) will help.
You can get them in knee high, thigh high, or pantyhose. I personally prefer the thigh high since my RLS goes up to the thighs. I am experimenting with a fairly tight long leg girdle when the RLS goes up into the groin area. I take enough medications for real medical reasons which all have side effects, If I can control the RLS with no meds, its the way I will go. No one but my wife and I know, She thinks its weird but it allows me to sleep. ALSO, I always wear them when flying to prevent what they Deep vein thrombosis.
Evan Wasserman DMD, FAGD

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

I still find it interesting that everyone doesn't give this a try. Other then the few people of "can't stand anything touching them" it really should help. Especially for "creepy crawly " kind of RLS.
I really need everyone to try this and report back here if it helps.
In my case, the compression seems to "satisfy" the bodies need to move.
You have nothing to lose by trying except the side effects and costs of meds.

trevb

Post by trevb »

my rls isnt bad enough for me to warrent trying this , but thanks dr wass for your good suggestion, im sure people will give it a go, others know that they cant stand any sort of pressure to their legs and wont. the thing is that everyones rls seems so different to others here and what works for some doesnt for others. its great that pantyhose works so well for you- you must be chuffed to bits getting of meds!

do you have shares in pantyhose btw?? :lol:
trev

DustyLady

My pantyhose experience

Post by DustyLady »

I haven't actually tried the TED hose, or medical compression hose. But it was my experience, long ago, that wearing panty hose actually caused me to have more problems than less. It seems that the longer I wore them during the day, the greater my spasms.

Dusty